Where is Selfadjoint? Answers to Your Questions
- Thread starter Ratzinger
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
86 replies · 19K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Ratzinger
- 291
- 0
I'm also sad.
SelfAdjoint was my hero.
Rest in peace good man.
SelfAdjoint was my hero.
Rest in peace good man.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
- 1,125
- 5
He'll be missed :( I hope his family are ok.
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
- 734
- 4
I’m so sad to hear this, I shall miss him.
It is a great loss, and his family and friends have my deepest sympathy.
It is comforting to know he was with his family, and to hope this great man has been reunited with his wife, in peace.
It is a great loss, and his family and friends have my deepest sympathy.
It is comforting to know he was with his family, and to hope this great man has been reunited with his wife, in peace.
Science Advisor
- 13,423
- 4,244
Great loss for everybody, indeed. He'll be missed.
mattmns
- 1,129
- 5
Rest in Peace.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,564
- 24
Goodbye, old friend. The value of your contribution here cannot be overstated. I'm sure your family feels the same way about your time with them.
Admin
- 69,779
- 25,629
Here's a typical SA thread -- very interesting!
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=120944
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=120944
neutrino
- 2,093
- 2
It's nice to see the letters S and A adorning the forum banner, but it should be a bit more noticable, IMHO. 
tehno
- 375
- 0
Sad.
He will be remebered here for a long time.I'll remember him.
That man was a true spirit of a research and passionate thinker.
We exchanged only few messages on PF,but I enjoyed all
of them lot.
RIP, friend.
He will be remebered here for a long time.I'll remember him.
That man was a true spirit of a research and passionate thinker.
We exchanged only few messages on PF,but I enjoyed all
of them lot.
RIP, friend.
- 20,002
- 11,119
neutrino said:It's nice to see the letters S and A adorning the forum banner, but it should be a bit more noticable, IMHO.![]()
It's a quick something... we are working on more things. Stay tuned.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
An intelligent person can fairly easily put in the effort necessary to develop depth in a few narrow areas.
An intelligent person can fairly easily put in the effort necessary to develop breadth in somewhat shallow way.
I have rarely seen the depth over such a wide breadth of topics (and not just in physics and math) that selfAdjoint routinely exhibited.
And he seemed to be a really nice guy; on a personal level, selfAdjoint was the first to respond to my announcement of the birth of my daughter.
Much saddened,
George
An intelligent person can fairly easily put in the effort necessary to develop breadth in somewhat shallow way.
I have rarely seen the depth over such a wide breadth of topics (and not just in physics and math) that selfAdjoint routinely exhibited.
And he seemed to be a really nice guy; on a personal level, selfAdjoint was the first to respond to my announcement of the birth of my daughter.
Much saddened,
George
Anttech
- 237
- 0
Rest in Peace SelfAdjoint. -- PF is morning you.
ziad1985
- 244
- 0
I don't him, but what I can read from all these replies in this thread, I can say without hesitation that he was a great man...Rest In Peace
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
OMG, i never checked out this thread before, but i was shocked to found out this sad news. This is a very big loss and i wish his grieving family all the support they can get. sA helped me out a lot with some of the entries in my journal, in my early PF days.
He will be missed
marlon
He will be missed
marlon
arunbg
- 594
- 0
This is awful news.
It's been quite some time since I checked the forums, and I came across this thread by accident. Too sad we didn't come to know earlier. I never knew SA was that old. His wisdom and gentleness will truly be missed. May his soul rest in peace.
It's been quite some time since I checked the forums, and I came across this thread by accident. Too sad we didn't come to know earlier. I never knew SA was that old. His wisdom and gentleness will truly be missed. May his soul rest in peace.
Mk
- 2,040
- 4
Oh wow. I feel kind of sad now. selfAdjoint and chroot are my favorite mentors.
Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
I never looked at this thread before, until being directed here from another one. Although we never really interacted much, SA was one of my favourites. It surprised me to find out his age status; I always got the impression that he was in his 20's or 30's. Thinking and acting young might have been one of his better skills. Being an atheist, I'm not going to offer any platitudes. I'll say what I say about anyone else who mattered to me: I don't mourn his loss; I celebrate having had him in my life. We're all better off for having experienced his thoughts.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,621
- 9
I've been away for a while myself, 'other' commitments, so it's come as a real shock to find this thread. Although I've only been here a relatively short time and didn't really know SA, it is a sad day whenever a colleague; close or otherwise departs. May I wish SA and his wife everlasting peace and happiness. A sad loss, not only to PF but I'm sure to those who had the pleasure of calling him their friend.
Rest in peace SA.
Rest in peace SA.
Last edited:
Vagrant
- 195
- 1
I'm new in this forum and did not know SA but I found this poem and wanted to share this with others.May SA rest in peace.
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!
By: Mary Frye (1932)
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!
By: Mary Frye (1932)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
Yes they are - see chroot's post (#15) and Greg's subsequent comment.arildno said:I hope the forum administrators are planning an "In memoriam"-page to selfAdjoint. He was one of those who deserves such a recognition.
SA and I exchanged a few PMs last year. He was quite a remarkable person.
He was looking forward to time with the granddaughters, one of whom turned 1 just after he passed away.
Reshma
- 749
- 6
SA was an asset to this forum. He would be certainly be greatly missed. May his soul rest in peace.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,692
- 9,083
Ye will be missed.
Similar threads
Where is SelfAdjoint? - Have You Seen Him?
- Tom McCurdy
- · Replies 5 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 5
Undergrad Heat during the Day: Answers to Your Questions
- Lukeblackhill
- · Replies 5 ·
- Thermodynamics
- Replies
- 5
Is GMO Food Safe? Answers to Your Questions
- timeuser84
- · Replies 18 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 18
Undergrad Time Dilation: Get Answers to Your Questions
- Junkwargo
- · Replies 3 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 3
Admissions UCF Grade Forgiveness: Get Answers to Your Questions
- D-lineman92
- · Replies 1 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 1
Get Answers to Your Questions About Associated Tax Relief
- Ivan Seeking
- · Replies 16 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 16
How to Follow on PF - Get Answers to Your Questions
- Feeble Wonk
- · Replies 3 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 3
Undergrad Calculating Voltage in a Battery: Answers to Your Questions
- Amyriel
- · Replies 5 ·
- Electromagnetism
- Replies
- 5
NR3: Acid or Base? Answers to Your Questions
- alingy2
- · Replies 2 ·
- Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
- Replies
- 2
M.Tech After MSc: Get Answers to Your Questions
- YANG93
- · Replies 1 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 1