Editing period for this forum has been shortened?

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
In summary: Editing period for this forum has been shortened from 12 hours to 6 hours. This is in order to assist with certain areas where long edit times created problems. If you need to edit something past the time frame, you can copy and paste and edit a new post, just say that the edit replaces the original, or ask a mentor to edit the original.
kingwinner
"Editing period" for this forum has been shortened?

Recently, I've realized that the "editing period" (i.e. the time taken before the "edit" button dissappears) of a post in this forum has been greatly shortened. Why? I find this to be very inconvenient because I cannot correct my typos. Very oftenly, after a few hours when I look at my post again, I realize a typo and would like to edit it, but I can't do that now...why? I suggest to make the "editing period" to be at least 6 hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have shortened the editing period to assist in certain areas where long edit times created problems.

I suggest that if you are afraid of typos, that you proof read your post after submitting. If you have a real dire need to edit a post that would completely change the meaning and a subsequent post with correcting notes won't suffice, please PM a mentor with the corrections needed.

If a typo changes the context (such as in a math equation), we can assist. Otherwise, we're not typing nazis...we won't give you a hard time over a typo.

I just noticed this as well. I left a post in the edditing window mode for awhile and was thinking about what I was posting (and went and ate dinner) b/c I was looking up something in my book and when I tried to add something to the original post it told me something like "the editing time was set to 30min".

I assume that this is standard for all places in the forum, right?

~christina~ said:
I just noticed this as well. I left a post in the edditing window mode for awhile and was thinking about what I was posting (and went and ate dinner) b/c I was looking up something in my book and when I tried to add something to the original post it told me something like "the editing time was set to 30min".

I assume that this is standard for all places in the forum, right?
Yes, it is now. If you need to edit something past the time frame, you can copy and paste and edit a new post, just say that the edit replaces the original, or ask a mentor to edit the original.

Evo said:
Yes, it is now. If you need to edit something past the time frame, you can copy and paste and edit a new post, just say that the edit replaces the original, or ask a mentor to edit the original.

okey dokey :smile:

The stupid mistakes in my posts are explained by the shortness of the editing period.
I am snowblinded by their brilliance, and it takes a 36h period to adapt and notice these minuscule imperfections.
However I understand the reason for the short editing period is that some posters need an answer inside 30 min. and if they don't get that they never come back.
But evo's suggestion is a most practical one.
Especially as no one comes back on most of my posts anyway so that should give me time to perfect them. :biggrin:

Last edited:
It wasn't so much that some posters needed quick answers and more that some posters once they got an answer retrospectively edited their posts and turned the thread into nonsense. The odd spelling and grammar mistake we can all forgive.

For detailed or lengthy posts, please use a text editor to compose the post.

One can post it, then Preview it, for appearance. If satisfactory, one can submit it, otherwise it can then be deleted and the text edited.

If you are on firefox, you can download an online dictionary that corrects any errors.

1. What does "editing period for this forum has been shortened" mean?

This means that the amount of time you have to edit your posts or comments on this forum has been reduced.

2. Why has the editing period been shortened?

The editing period may have been shortened to encourage users to carefully review their posts before submitting them, and to prevent spam or inappropriate content from remaining on the forum for an extended period of time.

3. How long is the editing period now?

The length of the editing period may vary depending on the forum, but typically it can range from a few minutes to a few hours.

4. Can I request for the editing period to be extended?

It is unlikely that the editing period can be extended as it is a set rule for the forum. However, you can always contact the forum moderators or administrators and request for a specific post to be edited or removed.

5. Will I be notified when the editing period is over?

Some forums may send a notification when the editing period is about to end, but it is always best to review your posts before submitting them to ensure accuracy and relevance.