Grandpa and Grandma's Combined Age: How Old Are They?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discussed a math problem where Grandpa and Grandma have been together for 126 years and Grandpa is twice as old as Grandma was when Grandpa was the same age as Grandma is now. The conversation also reflects on the difficulty of understanding word problems in math.
Borek
Mentor
Granpda and Grandma have 126 years togehter. How old is Grandma and how old is Grandpa, if Grandpa is twice older then Grandma was when Grandpa was as old as Grandma is now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grandpa is 72 and grandma is 54. 18 years ago, he was 54 (grandma's age now) and she was 36. He is now twice that age.

I had no access to internet for 80 hours and only one answer in the meantime? Too easy or too difficult? :wink:

Too easy. I started writing an answer but jimmy beat me to it.

Too easy. This is a straight-forward algebra problem, not really a brain teaser.

jimmysnyder said:
... straight-forward algebra ...

I agree.

P + M = 126
P = 2 ( M - (P-M) )

2 linear equations in 2 unknowns.

It can be even done with just unknown, what I was always finding difficult was not just solving, but understanding the question. But if you find it easy I can only bow to your skills :wink:

Yes, I admit I've known a lot of people who do struggle with word problems like this. The key is translating the written language into the language of math, much like I did 2 posts ago.

In return, I'll bow to your chemistry skills and knowledge :smile: and we'll call it even.

What is the average age of grandparents?

The average age of grandparents varies depending on the country and culture. In the United States, the average age for becoming a grandparent is 50 years old for women and 52 years old for men.

At what age do most people become grandparents?

Most people become grandparents in their 50s or 60s, but it can vary greatly. Some people become grandparents in their 40s, while others may not become grandparents until their 70s or 80s.

How does age affect the quality of grandparent-grandchild relationships?

Research shows that the quality of grandparent-grandchild relationships is not solely determined by age. Factors such as personality, communication, and bonding activities also play a role. However, older grandparents may have more time and patience to devote to their grandchildren, while younger grandparents may have more energy to engage in physical activities.

Is there a difference in life expectancy for grandfathers and grandmothers?

Studies have shown that women tend to live longer than men, but this does not necessarily apply to grandparents. Factors such as overall health, lifestyle choices, and genetics play a larger role in life expectancy than gender.

Can grandparents influence their grandchildren's health and well-being?

Yes, grandparents can have a significant impact on their grandchildren's health and well-being. They can serve as role models, provide emotional support, and pass down important knowledge and traditions. However, it is important for grandparents to respect the parents' decisions and not overstep boundaries.