Grandpa and Grandma's Combined Age: How Old Are They?
- Level: High School
- Thread starter Borek
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Age
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
Grandpa is 72 and grandma is 54. 18 years ago, he was 54 (grandma's age now) and she was 36. He is now twice that age.
- 15,524
- 771
Too easy. I started writing an answer but jimmy beat me to it.
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
Too easy. This is a straight-forward algebra problem, not really a brain teaser.
- 12,179
- 186
jimmysnyder said:... straight-forward algebra ...
I agree.
P + M = 126
P = 2 ( M - (P-M) )
2 linear equations in 2 unknowns.
- 12,179
- 186
Yes, I admit I've known a lot of people who do struggle with word problems like this. The key is translating the written language into the language of math, much like I did 2 posts ago.
In return, I'll bow to your chemistry skills and knowledge
and we'll call it even.
In return, I'll bow to your chemistry skills and knowledge
Similar threads
- Johnx1
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- mathdad
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- mathdad
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- mathdad
- · Replies 4 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 4
- harpazo
- · Replies 11 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 11
- harpazo
- · Replies 12 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 12
- K Sengupta
- · Replies 9 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 9
High School
How old is the light from the Triangulum Galaxy?
- FrankC
- · Replies 6 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 6
- 888eddy
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
High School
How Old is the Milky Way Galaxy?
- Simon Peach
- · Replies 12 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 12