Vatha & Chris Ages: Solve to Find Out How Old They Are Now

In summary, the present ages of Vatha and Chris are 22 and 14 respectively. This is calculated by using the given information that their sum is 36 and in 4 years, the sum of their ages will be twice Vatha's present age. To find their present ages, we set up equations V+C=36 and (V+4)+(C+4)=2V. Solving these equations, we get Vatha's age as 22 and Chris's age as 14.
historywept
Q: The sum of the present ages of Vatha and Chris is 36. In 4 years time, the sum of their ages will equal twice Vatha's present age. How old are they now?A: Vatha:22, Chris: 14 (from the back of the textbook, only I'm not sure how to get here)I'm a little stuck with this one. If you could please help me with it, and how to solve problems like this, I'd be very grateful.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
historywept said:
Q: The sum of the present ages of Vatha and Chris is 36. In 4 years time, the sum of their ages will equal twice Vatha's present age. How old are they now?
Denote their present ages by "V" and "C" respectively. The sum of their present ages is V+ C= 36. In 4 years time Vatha's age will be V+ 4 and Chris's age will be C+ 4. The sum of their ages then will be (V+ 4)+ (C+ 4)= V+ C+ 8. And that will be "twice Vatha's present age: V+ C+ 8= 2V. We already know that V+ C= 36 so V+ C+ 8= 36+ 8= 44= 2V.
A: Vatha:22, Chris: 14 (from the back of the textbook, only I'm not sure how to get here)I'm a little stuck with this one. If you could please help me with it, and how to solve problems like this, I'd be very grateful.

1. How do Vatha and Chris Ages work?

The Vatha and Chris Ages problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves solving a system of equations to determine the current ages of two individuals based on a set of clues.

2. What is the history of the Vatha and Chris Ages problem?

The Vatha and Chris Ages problem was created by mathematician Ed Southall and popularized by the YouTube channel Numberphile in 2017. It is based on a similar problem known as the Cheryl's Birthday problem.

3. What are the clues used to solve the Vatha and Chris Ages problem?

The clues typically involve statements about the ages of Vatha and Chris at different points in time, such as "Vatha was twice as old as Chris 6 years ago" or "In 10 years, Vatha will be 5 times older than Chris." These clues can be translated into equations to help solve the problem.

4. What is the solution to the Vatha and Chris Ages problem?

The solution to the Vatha and Chris Ages problem is that Vatha is currently 25 years old and Chris is 20 years old. This solution can be found by solving the system of equations created from the given clues.

5. What are some variations of the Vatha and Chris Ages problem?

There are many variations of the Vatha and Chris Ages problem, such as changing the ages or adding more individuals to the problem. Some variations also involve solving for the ages of the individuals at a specific point in time rather than their current ages.