Branch-cut singularity and the multiparticle contribution to the full propagator

In summary, a branch-cut singularity is a discontinuity in a function on the complex plane. It is a weak singularity, which means it does not cause the function to diverge to infinity.
gremezd
I have been reading Chapter 7 of Peskin & Schroeder about full propagator, the Kallen Lehman spectral representation, and got stuck at the branch cut singularities and at the complex logarithm of negative numbers. I have posted in the Analysis forum (but have not received any answer) the following question:

Does anyone know what a branch-cut singularity is? I have been trying to understand its importance in physics, but I got lost. I would guess that a singularity in physical context should mean that the value of a function should become very big near that singularity. But if we take complex logarithm, we can become big only in two cases, when the argument is either 0 or infinity.
However, people choose the negative part of a real line in a complex plane as a branch cut for a complex logarithm, and say that this branch cut is a weak singulartiy compared to a simple pole. What do they mean by that?

Can anyone comment something about the "weakness of branch-cut singularities" in QFT or overall in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
gremezd said:
Does anyone know what a branch-cut singularity is?
From the sound of your question, I'm guessing you haven't looked at the
Wiki page on this subject? I.e.,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_cut

I have been trying to understand its importance in physics, but I got lost. I would guess that a singularity in physical context should mean that the value of a function should become very big near that singularity.
More generally, "singularity" can mean that the function becomes ill-defined at that point.
In the case of a branch cut, the function ceases to be single-valued there, which is
not quite as nasty as diverging to infinity at a pole singularity.

A branch cut is a curve on the complex plane, across which the function is discontinuous.

Yes, I have read wikepedia both on a branch point and complex logarithm.
But how do we interpret singulartities: do they constitute the essence of physical quantities or, as you say, they make these physical quantities ill-defined? and have to be got ridden of?

I found it interesting that the logarithm of negative numbers can be thought of as integrating over a continuum of poles. But it's quite difficult for me to put in one place the images of these different but closely related concepts: branch-cut singularity, continuum of poles, complex logarithm of negative numbers, discontinuity of logarithm at the branch cut; and the meanging of this in a physical context..

This is why you should learn the math before you try to learn the physics that uses it.
I'd suggest a book/course on complex analysis.

There's no physical significance of any mathematical thing in itself. Its significance is whatever you decided to give it when you created a mathematical model.

well well, maybe I can help you out.
branch-cut singularities are continuous singularities, which means, you have endless singularities from one point on which is the branch-CUT. Now two particles start to exist from p^2=(2m)^2 on. If they have additional energy (see equation for relativistic particles: p^2=E^2+m^2) their momentum p increases, and as the energy can increase continuously you have continuous possible values for p. And with that you have continuous values for M forming poles and these are the possible singularities and obviously this will be a continuum. You can actually look at figure 7.2 in Peskin and it'll become all clear...

1. What is a branch-cut singularity in the context of the full propagator?

A branch-cut singularity is a type of singularity that appears in the complex plane when calculating the full propagator for a system. It occurs when the integral used to calculate the propagator has a discontinuity or "cut" along a certain path, resulting in a non-analytic behavior. This can happen when there are multiple possible solutions to the equations of motion, leading to a branch point.

2. How does the presence of a branch-cut singularity affect the behavior of the full propagator?

The presence of a branch-cut singularity can significantly impact the behavior of the full propagator. It can result in non-analytic terms in the propagator, making it difficult to interpret and use in calculations. It can also lead to spurious solutions or divergences in certain regions of the complex plane.

3. What is the multiparticle contribution to the full propagator?

The multiparticle contribution to the full propagator is the contribution from multiple particles in a system to the overall propagator. In other words, it takes into account the interactions and influences between particles, rather than just considering them as individual entities. This can be important in systems with strong particle-particle interactions.

4. How do we calculate the multiparticle contribution to the full propagator?

The multiparticle contribution to the full propagator can be calculated using various techniques, such as perturbation theory or numerical simulations. It involves considering the interactions between particles and integrating over all possible paths in the system. This can be a complex and challenging task, especially in systems with a large number of particles.

5. Why is the multiparticle contribution to the full propagator important in certain systems?

The multiparticle contribution to the full propagator is important in systems where particle-particle interactions play a significant role. These systems can include high-energy physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum field theory. Neglecting the multiparticle contribution can lead to incorrect or incomplete results, so it is crucial to consider it in these types of systems.