Branch-cut singularity of a complex logarithm

In summary: Does anyone know what a branch-cut singularity is? I have been trying to understand its importance in physics, but I got lost. I would guess that a singularity in physical context should mean that the value of a function should become very big near that singularity. But if we take complex logarithm, we can become big only in two cases, when the argument is either 0 or infinity. However, people choose the negative part of a real line in a complex plane as a branch cut for a complex logarithm, and say that this branch cut is a weak singulartiy compared to a simple pole. What do they mean by that?The problem with log z, is that the function is not
gremezd
Hi!

Does anyone know what a branch-cut singularity is? I have been trying to understand its importance in physics, but I got lost. I would guess that a singularity in physical context should mean that the value of a function should become very big near that singularity. But if we take complex logarithm, we can become big only in two cases, when the argument is either 0 or infinity.
However, people choose the negative part of a real line in a complex plane as a branch cut for a complex logarithm, and say that this branch cut is a weak singulartiy compared to a simple pole. What do they mean by that?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with log z, is that the function is not single-valued if you allow paths which wind around the complex origin. If you approach a branch cut from different paths, you may get different limits. Towards a simple pole you get no limits at all. How they compare singularities may depend on how they effect integrals, etc.The question is a bit vague, so this is my best guess at what they mean.

You have got to understand log(z) first: Plot the real and imaginary components of log(z)=ln|z|+arg z. You should get a funnel for the first and a cork-screw for the second. Take it slow first: Use ParametricPlot3D[{Re[z],Im[z],t}/.z->r Exp[it],{r,0,2},{t,-10,10}] in Mathematica to see the cork-screw. But that surface is not single valued right? Can you take a piece of it that is single valued? Sure. Just excise a maximum part that doesn't overlap. That part then becomes the imaginary component of a branch of log(z) and the jump. the gap, between the edges is the branch cut and the origin is the singular point called the branch point.

Hi, I am new here and like math. :)

1. What is a branch-cut singularity of a complex logarithm?

A branch-cut singularity of a complex logarithm is a discontinuity or break in the complex plane where the function is undefined. It is typically represented by a line or curve on the complex plane, known as the branch cut, where the function takes on different values on either side.

2. How does a branch-cut singularity affect the behavior of a complex logarithm?

A branch-cut singularity can significantly impact the behavior of a complex logarithm. It can cause the function to be undefined at certain points, resulting in discontinuities and changes in the values of the function. This can make it challenging to analyze and use the function in mathematical calculations.

3. What causes a branch-cut singularity to occur in a complex logarithm?

A branch-cut singularity typically occurs when taking the logarithm of a negative or zero complex number, as these values do not have a unique logarithm. Therefore, a branch-cut is introduced to choose a specific branch of the logarithm function, resulting in a discontinuity at that point.

4. How can branch-cut singularities be avoided in complex logarithms?

One way to avoid branch-cut singularities in complex logarithms is to use a different branch of the logarithm function that does not have a branch-cut at the desired point. This can be achieved by choosing a different range of values for the complex argument, known as the principal branch, which avoids the branch-cut.

5. Are there any applications of branch-cut singularities in complex logarithms?

While branch-cut singularities can pose challenges in mathematical calculations, they also have practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering. For instance, they are used in the branch-cut method for solving complex integrals, and in signal processing to analyze signals with complex logarithmic functions.