Angular Momentum of Clay + Device System: Calculations & Solution

In summary: Your omega is given as .08 rad/sSo your L of spokes/blocks is 7.1744*.08 = .573952 kg m2/sThe clay has an L = .7*√2/2*.2*5 = .7 rad/sSo L of clay = .7*.2*5 = .7 kg m2/sAnd the system is the sum of the two L's so...In summary, the system of the clay and device has an angular momentum of 1.273952 kg m2/s. The mass of the device is calculated as 8*0.8 kg and the mass of the clay is 0
magma_saber

Homework Statement

A device with 8 balls each with a mass of 0.8 kg is attached to spokes with length of 1.4 m, radius of 0.7 m. A lump of clay of 0.2 kg falls on the at the location shown and is attached to a ball at 45 degree angle. Before the impact, the clay was at a speed of 5 m/s. It moves counterclockwise with a angular speed of 0.08 radians/s.

What is the angular momentum of the system of the clay and devise?

Homework Equations

Ldevice = 1/2*M*R2
Lclay = r*p
Lsystem = Ldevice + Lsystem

The Attempt at a Solution

For the device, is the mass 8*0.08?
Also for the clay, is r just the radius?
Is this the right way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
magma_saber said:
A device with 8 balls each with a mass of 0.8 kg is attached to spokes with length of 1.4 m, radius of 0.7 m. A lump of clay of 0.2 kg falls on the at the location shown and is attached to a ball at 45 degree angle. Before the impact, the clay was at a speed of 5 m/s. It moves counterclockwise with a angular speed of 0.08 radians/s.

What is the angular momentum of the system of the clay and devise?

Homework Equations

Ldevice = 1/2*M*R2
Lclay = r*p
Lsystem = Ldevice + Lsystem

The Attempt at a Solution

For the device, is the mass 8*0.08?
Also for the clay, is r just the radius?
Is this the right way to do this?

First of all there is no diagram and so whichever of the spokes it lands on is not given. But said you angular momentum of the system is made of two parts.

L of spokes/blocks = I * ω

L of clay = r X P

But the r here is not the R of the spokes. It will be R*√2/2 which is the distance from the center along the axis that is ⊥ to the downward direction of P

Your I for the masses is apparently 8*.8*m*1.42

I would first clarify the units used in the problem. Are the masses given in kilograms or grams? Are the lengths given in meters or centimeters? This is important to ensure accurate calculations.

Next, I would begin by calculating the angular momentum of the device. The formula for angular momentum is L = I*ω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. In this case, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2*m*r^2, where m is the mass of the ball and r is the radius of the spoke. Plugging in the given values, we get I = 1/2*0.8*0.7^2 = 0.196 kg*m^2. Then, we can calculate the angular momentum of the device using Ldevice = I*ω = 0.196*0.08 = 0.01568 kg*m^2/s.

For the clay, the angular momentum can be calculated using the formula L = r*p, where r is the radius and p is the linear momentum. In this case, the radius is given as 0.7 m and the linear momentum can be calculated using p = m*v, where m is the mass of the clay (0.2 kg) and v is the velocity before impact (5 m/s). Plugging in the values, we get p = 0.2*5 = 1 kg*m/s. Therefore, the angular momentum of the clay is Lclay = r*p = 0.7*1 = 0.7 kg*m^2/s.

Finally, to calculate the angular momentum of the system, we can simply add the angular momenta of the device and the clay together. Lsystem = Ldevice + Lclay = 0.01568 + 0.7 = 0.71568 kg*m^2/s.

In summary, the angular momentum of the system of the clay and device is 0.71568 kg*m^2/s.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to clay and a device system?

The angular momentum of a clay and device system is the sum of the individual angular momenta of each component. The clay's angular momentum is determined by its moment of inertia and angular velocity, while the device's angular momentum is determined by its moment of inertia and angular velocity.

3. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a clay and device system?

The moment of inertia for a clay and device system can be calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia of each component. The moment of inertia for the clay can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5) * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the clay and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass. The moment of inertia for the device can be calculated using the appropriate formula for its shape.

4. What is the angular velocity of a clay and device system?

The angular velocity of a clay and device system is the rate at which the system is rotating. It can be calculated by dividing the total angular momentum of the system by its moment of inertia.

5. How do you solve for the angular momentum of a clay and device system?

To solve for the angular momentum of a clay and device system, you must first calculate the individual angular momenta of each component and then add them together. Then, you can use the formula L = I * ω to calculate the total angular momentum, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.