Getting started on using LaTex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter johndb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary components for using math typesetting on a text editor, specifically whether it is necessary to install LaTeX and other complimentary programs such as Lyx and WinEdt, or if one is enough. It is explained that LaTeX is like programming and requires a "compiler" or TeX distribution, with MikTeX being the most common and easiest to install for Windows. While documents can be typed in any program, there are programs like Lyx and WinEdt that make editing TeX documents easier. It is noted that these programs do not include a TeX distribution, but installing them after MikTeX should result in a smooth installation process. Additionally, it is suggested to just install Lyx as it is user-friendly
johndb
Can someone tell me if I must install Latex and Lyx, or MikTex, or WinEdit or is one enough, in order to use math typesetting on a text editor? Is Latex necessary to install first before you install the a complimentary program, so Lyx can utilise its abilities or do these programs have Tex / Latex functions incorporated in them already. I haven't been able to find an explicit and clear answer anywhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using LaTeX is a bit like programming. You need a "compiler" (TeX distribution) to convert the documents you type to a final format, such as PDF. For Windows, MikTeX is the most common and easiest to install, in my experience.
The documents themselves can be typed in whatever program you like, you can do it in Notepad for all anyone cares. However, there are several programs available which make editing TeX documents easier (like the IDE for a programming language), for example by providing buttons to insert common constructs or to automatically execute the "compiler" and open the PDF afterwards. WinEdt and Lyx are such programs.

In general, these "IDE"s do not include a "compiler" -- in LaTeX language: the editors do not include a TeX distribution. However, if you choose a frequently used combination you will (hopefully) have little problems installing them. For example, if you first install the MikTeX distribution and then the WinEdt editor, chances are you can just open up WinEdt after the installation, type your first document, hit the "Run" button and everything will work.

just install lyx, its a word processor based on latex (kinda like how frontpage -> html). installer is very user friendly (at least the windows version is.. haven't used the linux one), and it automatically installs all the prereqs.

Thanks that's all I wanted to know.

1. What is LaTex?

LaTex is a typesetting system used for creating documents with high-quality mathematical and scientific equations. It is widely used by scientists, mathematicians, and other researchers to write and publish their work.

2. How do I install LaTex?

LaTex is available for free and can be easily installed on most computer systems. You can download the required software and follow the installation instructions provided by the LaTex distribution of your choice. Some popular distributions include TeX Live, MiKTeX, and MacTeX.

3. How do I create a LaTex document?

To create a LaTex document, you need to use a text editor to write your content and add LaTex commands for formatting. You can save the document with a .tex extension and then use a LaTex compiler to convert it into a PDF or other output format. There are also several LaTex editors available that provide a more user-friendly interface for writing LaTex documents.

4. How do I add equations and symbols in LaTex?

LaTex offers a wide range of commands for adding equations and symbols to your document. You can use the built-in math environments and symbols or install additional packages for more advanced features. It is recommended to use a LaTex editor with a built-in equation editor for easier insertion of equations and symbols.

5. Can I include images and tables in a LaTex document?

Yes, LaTex supports the inclusion of images and tables in a document. You can use the \includegraphics command to insert images and the \begin{table} and \end{table} commands to create tables. It is also possible to customize the layout and formatting of these elements using LaTex commands and packages.