Help name seven baby skunks, please

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, skunks have little to no fear of humans and the cats like to make friends with them. The neighbor's dog killed all of the kittens that a stray cat that hangs around had. I am so sorry to hear about Miss Bun. But on the positive side, there are the times when you go into your kitchen and there's an opossum eating cat food like it's the most natural thing in the world.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oh boy. I just found 6 or 7 baby skunks living in a storage area attached to my office - a converted barn. I just came walking down and they were all waiting near my office door. Two of them wanted to come over and say hello. I don't know where mama is. :uhh:

I have learned that skunks really have little to no fear of humans. I have stood within three feet of a skunk that was eating and he could have cared less. No tail action, no threat, he just barely acknowledged my presence and kept eating.

The cats like to make friends with them. :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Help name seven baby skunks, please
  • Manichaeus
  • 10-ft.
  • Any Other Name
  • Calvin
  • Dinkum Stinkum
  • Cribbage
  • Therapy

Oh yes, if you have any suggestions, what in the heck do I do now?!

I had to shoot two this year already...but seven? Gees.

Integral are your reading? You have lived here longer than me. What do I do?

Awww, little babies. :approve: I hope the mom is ok. Just don't upset them. My dog, you know the one, the "Jaws of Death" is forever cornering skunks right under my bedroom window. Nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night thinking you've been sprayed.

Maybe you could name them after the PF members they most resemble? :devil: :biggrin: Surely one is an Evo. :tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
I had to shoot two this year already...
SHOOT THEM? NOOOOO, they're innocent babies! :cry:

Call an animal rescue league to come get them and relocate them.

Evo said:
Just don't upset them.

No, see, I can't have seven skunks living on the property. This gets ugly. :cry:

we are posting nearly simultaneously.

Call an animal rescue league to come get them and relocate them

They will probably laugh at me but I will try. I really don't want to shoot them all. They are almost like little kitties - they handle themselves much like a persian cat does. Until I checked I assumed that cats and skunks were closely related but not so.

btw, I just lost my office kitty Miss Bun. Only 4.5 years and she lost blood circulation for some reason...don't know why. 24 hours from good to dead. It was so sad.

Ivan Seeking said:
No, see, I can't have seven skunks living on the property. This gets ugly. :cry:
Smelly maybe, not ugly. Just don't let me know if they meet an untimely death. :cry:

The neighbor's dog killed all of the kittens that a stray cat that hangs around had. They were so precious, I'm just sick. I had to bury all of them yesterday.

I am so sorry to hear about Miss Bun. :frown:

country living can be really ugly that way.

Yeah it's really hard for a bleeding heart animal lover like me.

But on the positive side, there are the times when you go into your kitchen and there's an opossum eating cat food like it's the most natural thing in the world. Man those things have large fangs and they drool when they eat. I replaced that window screen real quick.

Evo said:
Just don't let me know if they meet an untimely death. :cry:

That what I mean by ugly. I really hate shooting things. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Funny since as a kid I liked to hunt.

You know, moving from LA to the backwoods of Oregon was quite an experience. Anything related to farms and animals can be a pretty hard adjustment. Even seasoned animal people and farmers hate what they sometimes have to do.

Oh yes, here a favorite for the sheep people to pull on the city folk. The first time I watched the birthing of lambs the farmer made sure that he positioned me directly in the line of flight of the afterbirth. Luckily I was quicker than he.

Last edited:
Evo said:
But on the positive side,

you haven't lived until you've seen a billy goat mate! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
you haven't lived until you've seen a billy goat mate! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Is it something you can explain in mixed company? :blush:

Evo said:
Is it something you can explain in mixed company? :blush:

Well, hmmm, um, first you have to picture a cork screw; that's the shape. Then they pee all over themselves to attract a female - which I have tried and I can say that this seems to only work for goats. Anyway, that's what that famous billy goat beard is for. Its a sponge. Then they get so horny that they get stiff legged and can't walk right. They just wobble around making all sorts of obnoxious noise, peeing on their beard, and trying desperately to mount the nearest female who makes the poor billy stumble all over the barnyard trying to catch her. When he finally does its all over in about five seconds. It is absolutely the most pathetic mating ritual I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Then they get so horny that they get stiff legged and can't walk right. They just wobble around making all sorts of obnoxous noise, peeing on their beard, and trying desperately to mount the nearest female who makes the poor billy stumble all over the barnyard trying to catch her. When he finally does its all over in about five seconds. It is absolutely the most pathetic mating ritual I have ever seen.
Not unlike what I've encountered with males at the local bar. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Evo said:
Not unlike what I've encountered with males at the local bar. :biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

- George Bush.
- Tony Blair.
- John Howard.
- Ashcroft.
- Powell.
- Cheney.
- Alexander Downer.

Happy
Grumpy
Sleepy
Dopey
Sneezy
Dock
bashful

Took ma a while to get the last one, lol.

Let's see, how about...

Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Horst Bucholz, Robert Vaughn and um, um, um... Oh, just name the last one Stinky!

Njorl

Dammit Andy, I was going to use them names... Oh well, i second the "7 dwarfs" naming scheme

How about George Foreman I, George Foreman II, George Foreman III, George Foreman IV, George Foreman V, George Foreman VI, and George Foreman VII?

Seven perfect names:
Chroot
Greg
Integral
Marcus
Enigma
Monique
Doc Al

If we use hyphenated names, we could fit all the Stinkin' Great mentors/members' names on 'em...Monique-Evo, Marcus-Jimmy P, Enigma-Tsunami, etc etc.

bwha ha ha ha ha

Evo said:
Awww, little babies. :approve: I hope the mom is ok. Just don't upset them. My dog, you know the one, the "Jaws of Death" is forever cornering skunks right under my bedroom window. Nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night thinking you've been sprayed.
:surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Maybe you could name them after the PF members they most resemble? :devil: :biggrin: Surely one is an Evo. :tongue2:
They're ALL Evo! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (How you doin', Sis? :biggrin: )

More ideas;

SprayBaby
Stenchtail (or Stenchy)
Striper
Tailraiser
Mr Buttoneyes
RabieBaby
Fleazy

Hey Boulderhead:
You forgot Stripe and Polecat!

Hmmm, then here's a few more;

Musky
Egghead (or Eggster)
Nomad
Smellinger (pronounced; smell-linger)
Odiferous (as in; odoriferous)
Weasely (or Weasels)

Why not seven elements (like the most common seven) or the seven wonders of the world:
1. Egypt
2. Babylon
3. Olympia or Zeus
4. Artemis or Ephesus
5. Halicarnassus
6. Rhodes
7. Alexandria or Alex (for short)

Don't really want to know about Goats and their sexual habits. I know it is natural but it reminds me of what my friend say about Welsh farmers. Anyway...

The Bob (2004 ©)

I think we have a solution

The Skunkapult:

http://www.mangonel.com/petraria/dawn2s.jpg
http://www.ripcord.ws/

And before you have a fit Evo, I intend to put a little parachute on each of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about..

badger badger badger badger badger badger and snake :biggrin:

Where does this notion that you have to shoot any of them come from? They won't spray you unless you corner them and threaten them. Just don't feed them, and as they grow up they will disperse to find their own territory. I believe as adults they're solitary animals.

Monique said:
How about..

badger badger badger badger badger badger and snake :biggrin:

Ok this website is spreading too much now. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking. Can I ask if you are going to catapult them or call them skunkapult?

The Bob (2004 ©)

How about Stinky, Pewey, Pepe...that takes care of three.

And it's pigs, not goats that have a corkscrew shaped penis! I used to work with goats...I burned my clothes when I was done! The stiff legged "walk" is actually a foreleg kick and is part of their mating behavior too...the female goats seem to like it, though it just plain hurts when they get my shin instead of one of the other goats. But, yes, urinating on themselves is just nasty, but a clean goat won't get the females (yes, I knew someone who did that as an experiment, compared stinky goats with those scrubbed clean)...I used to play a similar trick as your sheep friends, which was to line up the new help with the male goat known to miss when he was spraying his beard...eeeeewwww!

Moonbear said:
How about Stinky, Pewey, Pepe...that takes care of three.

And it's pigs, not goats that have a corkscrew shaped penis!

It must depend on the type of goat. I am quite sure that I have never seen a pigs penis... I think these were all pigmy goats but I would have to check with my expert, Tsu.

I used to work with goats...I burned my clothes when I was done! The stiff legged "walk" is actually a foreleg kick and is part of their mating behavior too...the female goats seem to like it, though it just plain hurts when they get my shin instead of one of the other goats. But, yes, urinating on themselves is just nasty, but a clean goat won't get the females (yes, I knew someone who did that as an experiment, compared stinky goats with those scrubbed clean)...

You can smell them a mile away. That is the worst smell... Also, I found that really fine goat cheese smells just like a billy goat. In Paris they gave me some of this with Parma Ham or something and it about made me sick. Talk about an acquired taste! :yuck:

I used to play a similar trick as your sheep friends, which was to line up the new help with the male goat known to miss when he was spraying his beard...eeeeewwww!

Brutal. :surprise:

The Bob said:
Ok this website is spreading too much now. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking. Can I ask if you are going to catapult them or call them skunkapult?

The Bob (2004 ©)

That was a plan of action! :biggrin:

How about calling them Fling the 1st, Fling the 2nd...

In reality I am planning a capture and release. They love cat food. I think I can get a cage full in the back of my pickup truck and then dump them a few miles away back in the woods. It is all a matter of maintaining the proper distance. I can suffer the damage to he back of the truck for a time. It should be an interesting ride though. :yuck:

I just can't stand the thought of a skunkacaust.

I have the same experience with goat cheese, can't stand the stuff because it reminds me of the bucks. It tastes just like they smell! But, nope, it isn't breed dependent, it's not shaped like a corkscrew, sorry. Just long and skinny. It's okay, I trust you weren't examining it all that closely.

Glad you're not planning on skunkapulting them. Baby skunks are really adorable. You know you can take them to a vet and have their scent glands removed and make them into very nice pets :-)