Help name seven baby skunks, please

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, skunks have little to no fear of humans and the cats like to make friends with them. The neighbor's dog killed all of the kittens that a stray cat that hangs around had. I am so sorry to hear about Miss Bun. But on the positive side, there are the times when you go into your kitchen and there's an opossum eating cat food like it's the most natural thing in the world.
sorry, i forgot we were talking about skunks. whoops!

Physics news on Phys.org
OKay I have picked their names. There are eight in total.

In alphabetical order:

Evo the Terrible
Holly Terror
JimmyP Spraymaster
Miss AfterMath
Misty Monique
Moonbear The Odiferous
Njorl [the Bob] Boulderbomb
Zooby Le Pew

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
sorry, i forgot we were talking about skunks. whoops!

This is a multidimensional conversation. Let's not forget goat diddies :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
OKay I have picked their names. There are eight in total.
A good list. Do Zoobie and Zooby get along?

I think Zoobie was down here looking for Zooby. I don't know if they have formally met.

JimmyP Spraymaster... I like it! :biggrin: :rofl:

infact, I'll add it to the little message thing under my name!

chopnik spraymaster :rofl: :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
This is a multidimensional conversation. Let's not forget goat diddies :biggrin:
I don't think I will ever be able to forget the goat diddies. :bugeye:

I swear most men I meet are part goat.

Evo the Terrible. I am honored. :approve:

LOL! Moonbear the Odiferous...that's somewhat akin to when my brother-in-law got me LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of scented soaps as a Christmas present the first year I started working with goats! Then I smelled like goat AND fruit salad all at once! (They were those stinky fruit-scented soaps) I'm sure I'd have made everyone's mouth water in some Middle Eastern restaurant (I think that would be the place to get goat meat).

I think I like Holly Terror the best of them all! Now, can you tell all 8 skunks apart well enough to remember which one has which name?

Evo said:
Evo the Terrible. I am honored. :approve:
Yes, in many Native American traditions, it is an honor to have a skunk named after you. Well, actually in only a couple of tribes. Well, actually, there is this one little band where shame and disgrace don't necessarily have to follow you the rest of your life because of it.

Zooby Le Pew is catchy. :tongue2:

Evo said:
Zooby Le Pew is catchy. :tongue2:
Indeed. Much better than "Skunk Ape".

Moonbear said:
I'm sure I'd have made everyone's mouth water in some Middle Eastern restaurant (I think that would be the place to get goat meat).
Having lived in Texas for a number of years, I have eaten cabrito (barbecued goat). It's a Mexican thing. It was actually quite good.

btw, that was supposed to be Njorl [the Bob] Boulderbomb

Okay, now the bad news: Zooby, you're right about this pounding before you spray thing. Between my office door and the kitchen door I had three encounters with little skunks pounding the ground; well, I think that's what I saw. I kept seeing motion followed by a large tail pointed at me. These guys are all over the place! We may have more than one family...I think... Also, I'm not sure if these were the babies or something else but Zoobie was hanging with two of them up near the house. No kidding, this place is being overrun. Walking to the house after dark is like walking through a mine field.

I think the lesson here is that we can't go without a dog this long. Our beloved Dr Who recently went to that great phone booth in the sky. :cry:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Okay, now the bad news: Zooby, you're right about this pounding before you spray thing. Between my office door and the kitchen door I had three encounters with little skunks pounding the ground; well, I think that's what I saw. I kept seeing motion followed by a large tail pointed at me. These guys are all over the place! We may have more than one family...I think...
I'm envisioning hundreds of baby skunks pounding the ground in unison...Ivan screaming, running into the darkness hoping to escape the inevitable, but it's too late... :surprise:

Evo said:
Having lived in Texas for a number of years, I have eaten cabrito (barbecued goat). It's a Mexican thing. It was actually quite good.

We got to be friends with the Mexican family that started the best Mexican restaurant around. They kept trying to buy our pet goats [four at that time - Grunt, Bambi, Tater and Spud. Only when they invited us over for a BBQ did we realize the motivation to buy.

When I sad down and saw poor Mr. Grunt on that table... :surprise:

just kidding. We never sold them.

Evo said:
I'm envisioning hundreds of baby skunks pounding the ground in unison...Ivan screaming, running into the darkness hoping to escape the inevitable, but it's too late... :surprise:

So you think that's funny eh? :biggrin:

It did feel a bit like a plot from some twisted, skunk horror flick. I can't possibly check every bush and rock along the way. All of a sudden I would hear the pounding in the brush, I think, and there was another tail within six to ten feet; pointing right at me.

Ivan Seeking said:
Okay, now the bad news: Zooby, you're right about this pounding before you spray thing. Between my office door and the kitchen door I had three encounters with little skunks pounding the ground; well, I think that's what I saw. I kept seeing motion followed by a large tail pointed at me
As far as I know the pounding is only done if you have them cornered. In all cases where they have somewhere to run they will do that first. However, a skunk isn't very fast. I suppose if it seems like you're following them faster than they can run away they might get defensive.

My impression from the ones in the backyard here, is that their eyesight is terrible. They probably don't react to the sound of you walking because there are so many other skunks around to make noise, and the result is by the time they percieve how big you are you are already close enough to scare them.

I think from what you described that if you had a dog it would have gotten itself sprayed by now.

Best to go back and forth after dark with a flashlight.

Evo said:

LOL! I think they have Ivan surrounded.

They're all quiet as they encircle him, luring him into the center, then when there's nowhere to run, it starts: thump, thump, thump, thump...little striped tails approaching from every direction.

The scene goes to black.

The next scene is daylight, the hazmat team is there with gas masks and full protective clothing, onlookers stand behind crime scene tape, Tsunami is talking to a detective, "I don't know what happened? They seemed so harmless, but then this. I don't understand how this could have happened to Ivan? Why? Why?! Why?!"

Scene pans to two members of the hazmat team carrying in a large tub full of red liquid. Pans back to Tsunami who gasps at the site of the tub. The hazmat team leader has entered the scene, "Sorry ma'am, we didn't want to resort to this, but it's the only chance he has, we're going to have to douse him in tomato juice."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Evo said:
I have the same problem sporadically. If your browser is IE (Internet Explorer), you can click and drag the X (where the picture should be) up to the address bar and it will display the picture.

Still not working. Can I just have the address please?

The Bob (2004 ©)

*EDIT* Ignore it. I saw them. Really quite cute.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Njorl [the Bob] Boulderbomb

Oh yer. My favourite name :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Ivan Seeking said:
btw, that was supposed to be Njorl [the Bob] Boulderbomb

Well it was. And I like it. Dunno what Njorl thinks about sharing a name of a skunk but the two do work well together.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Update: THE LITTLE BUGGERS ARE EVERYWHERE! Last night I went out to call Zoobie in before bed, and one of them was RIGHT AT THE BACK DOOR! I think it was Zooby Le Pew. :biggrin: EVO! Send me your Jaws of Death puppy! We need dogs!

Moonbear said:
LOL! I think they have Ivan surrounded.

They're all quiet as they encircle him, luring him into the center, then when there's nowhere to run, it starts: thump, thump, thump, thump...little striped tails approaching from every direction.

The scene goes to black.

The next scene is daylight, the hazmat team is there with gas masks and full protective clothing, onlookers stand behind crime scene tape, Tsunami is talking to a detective, "I don't know what happened? They seemed so harmless, but then this. I don't understand how this could have happened to Ivan? Why? Why?! Why?!"

Scene pans to two members of the hazmat team carrying in a large tub full of red liquid. Pans back to Tsunami who gasps at the site of the tub. The hazmat team leader has entered the scene, "Sorry ma'am, we didn't want to resort to this, but it's the only chance he has, we're going to have to douse him in tomato juice."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Moonbear you are a riot! :biggrin:

Evo said:

Barbecued Goat? Intresting. Well atleast if you forgot the bottle opener for the wine you could use the goat's screwed shaped ... erm... well anyway :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Tsunami said:
Update: THE LITTLE BUGGERS ARE EVERYWHERE! Last night I went out to call Zoobie in before bed, and one of them was RIGHT AT THE BACK DOOR! I think it was Zooby Le Pew. :biggrin: EVO! Send me your Jaws of Death puppy! We need dogs!
One large stupid dog AKA "Jaws of Death" is on it's way. :tongue2: That dog has been sprayed by skunks so many times she is immune to it now.

Hey, will skunks run in wheels (like hamsters) if they are put in a cage? If you could somehow harness the power from all those skunks...

P.S. - Tsunami, Ivan said that you were the one that came up with the skunkapult?? :surprise: I am shocked.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Hey, will skunks run in wheels (like hamsters) if they are put in a cage? If you could somehow harness the power from all those skunks...
Yes, Ivan and Tsunami have a potential Pew Power monopoly on their hands, and they can't see the tree of this power through the forest of bushy tails.

The Bob said:
Barbecued Goat? Intresting. Well atleast if you forgot the bottle opener for the wine...

Do we select a red wine or white wine when eating BBQ goat?

Oh yes, you want a pig not a goat. Just twist the screw into the cork and then pull on the pig's tail. :biggrin:

I guess what I saw on the billy was a hook of some kind, not a cork screw.

Last edited:
Tsunami said:

uhoh.. I think you might have "pets" at this point! :biggrin:

Maybe you should contact "the skunk lady" for help:
http://www.accs.net/users/whyden/skunkfaq.htm

boy, was I ever flattered to have a skunk named after me! Highlight of my week! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
As far as I know the pounding is only done if you have them cornered. In all cases where they have somewhere to run they will do that first. However, a skunk isn't very fast. I suppose if it seems like you're following them faster than they can run away they might get defensive.

I think that's what happens. They don't hear me coming, or they ignore me until I cross the line. I hear them and I can see a little motion in the dark, but by the time I get the light on them they have turned around and the tail is up.

My impression from the ones in the backyard here, is that their eyesight is terrible.

I think you're right. the seem to see only at very short range.

I think from what you described that if you had a dog it would have gotten itself sprayed by now.

Best to go back and forth after dark with a flashlight.

Well, it is a little late to solve this years problem with a dog, at least without ending up with a really stinky dog, but as long as dogs are around the skunks would never nest here in the first place. I was afraid of something like this but really we have had quite a long run - 14 years - with a lot of animals - 18 or so with a few transients that found homes - and I was ready for a break. Keeping dogs on the property is a discussion in its own right. Around here, if they get out and chase cattle they're likely dead. The cattle people will often shoot them. Also, it is not possible to make the fence dog proof...so here we go again with controlled areas and fencing problems. :frown: Oh well, it's better than skunks! We really have quite a problem here.

Ivan Seeking said:
Do we select a red wine or white wine when eating BBQ goat?

Oh yes, you want a pig not a goat. Just twist the screw into the cork and then pull on the pig's tail. :biggrin:

I guess what I saw on the billy was a hook of some kind, not a cork screw.

I would say white wine because I only like a wine called Black Tower plus I have not had alcohol for 4 years or so.

A pig? Ok. Hog roast. Use in every department :wink:

The hook might be useful. Dunno. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Great name for a skunk. Thanks. Honored to pieces. Only on the forums for 2 weeks'ish and I feel involved like I have been here for years. Thanks guys.

oh yes, just so no one feels left out, any new sightings are

Atomizer Adam
Aerosol Andy
and
plover's plume

I thought I had run out of skunks but now I'm not sure.

I think I have a plan. Now being certain that they [one group that is] are sleeping in my storage area, I can trap them in the storage area by enclosing it with chicken wire during the day. Then, cut a hole so that they can only exit by entering the trap when they try to leave at night. I should even be able to trap some and hold the rest for another run; even for another day if needed.

A quick brain teaser: What are the chances that this ends without me getting sprayed first? :grumpy:

Ivan Seeking *Hmm, this name has potential*

How about: Eyebeen Stinking :eek: :redface:

I thinks the odds are in your favor that the name will apply. :biggrin:

Evo said:
One large stupid dog AKA "Jaws of Death" is on it's way. :tongue2: That dog has been sprayed by skunks so many times she is immune to it now.

P.S. - Tsunami, Ivan said that you were the one that came up with the skunkapult?? :surprise: I am shocked.
Well, it's good to know that I can still SHOCK and AWE someone! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did you ever watch Northern Esposure? Remember when Chris planned to fling the cow with the catapult? I just LOVED that episode. (They flung Maggie's piano instead, because Monty Python had already done the cow thing - and it just wasn't good KARMA to do it AGAIN! :biggrin: :biggrin:)