How Do You Calculate the Electric Force Between Charges in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnitude of the electric force on Q1 due to Q2, as well as how to find the x-component of force between Q1 and Q3. The solution involves using Coulomb's law and the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance and force between the charges. There are some mistakes made in using the correct values for the proportionality constant and the charges, but these are corrected in the conversation. The final question asks for clarification on why the x-component of the force on Q3 should not be negative.
GreyGus

Homework Statement

Three positive charges are located in the x-y plane (see plot below), with Q1=3.10 μC, Q2=5.20 μC and Q3=6.30 μC. Note that the charges are located at grid intersections, and that the x and y coordinates are in cm.
dynamically generated plot
A. Calculate the magnitude of the electric force on Q1 due to Q2.

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx=k(3.1*10^-6)(5.2*10^-6)/((4/100)^2)
Fy=k(3.1*10^-6)(5.2*10^-6)/((3/100)^2)
Then for the magnitude: sqrt((160.977)^2+(90.54)^2))
Thank you in advance because I really cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 630
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear GreyGus;
The solution is just as simple as two steps:
1- Calculate the distance between the two charges using Pythagoras theory (i.e. r = sqrt((the x component of distance)^2 + (the y component of distance)^2)).
2- Calculate the electeric force exerted on Q1 by Q2 using coloumb's law
(F= kQ1Q2/r^2). and hen proceed.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

ok so I did
x=.04 m
y=.03m
3.10 uC=.000003 C
5.20 uC=.0000052 C
r=sqrt((.04^2)+(.03^2))=.05
F=(9*10^29)(.000003)(.000005)/(.05^2)=5.803e21 N but that's wrong. What am I doing wrong now?

The error would be with the proportionality constant k, it's (8.9*10^9) not (8.9*10^29).
I hope this makes sense

Oh I see, Thank you very much for your help.

How would you find the x-component of force q1 to q3? I have tried:
r=.1
f=k(3.1*10^-6)(5.2*10^-6)/(.1^2)
tantheta=(.06/.08)=36.9
x-component=11.61 N. But that's not right. What did I do wrong on this one?

GreyGus said:
How would you find the x-component of force q1 to q3? I have tried:
r=.1
f=k(3.1*10^-6)(5.2*10^-6)/(.1^2)
tantheta=(.06/.08)=36.9
x-component=11.61 N. But that's not right. What did I do wrong on this one?
Make sure you're using the right charge.

Oh my bad. Ok so I got the answer, but I want to know why is the answer negative?

GreyGus said:
Oh my bad. Ok so I got the answer, but I want to know why is the answer negative?
The x-component of the force on q3 should not be negative.

1. What is electric force in physics?

Electric force is a fundamental force in physics that describes the interaction between charged particles. It is also known as the Coulomb force and is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between charged objects.

2. How is the electric force calculated?

The electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It can be expressed as F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of electric force?

The SI unit of electric force is Newton (N), which is also the unit of force. It can also be expressed in terms of other units, such as kilogram-meter per second squared (kg*m/s^2) or Coulomb-meter squared per kilogram (C*m^2/kg).

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect the electric force?

According to Coulomb's law, the electric force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa. Therefore, the closer the particles are, the stronger the electric force between them.

5. What is the difference between electric force and gravitational force?

Electric force and gravitational force are two different fundamental forces in physics. While electric force describes the interaction between charged particles, gravitational force describes the interaction between objects with mass. Additionally, electric force can be both attractive and repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive. Furthermore, the strength of electric force is much stronger than gravitational force, as the Coulomb's constant is significantly larger than the gravitational constant.