Calculating Two Unknown Charges from a Tripole

In summary, the net electric field at point P, which is located directly to the right of q1, is zero when three point charges q1, q2, and q3 are placed along a straight vertical line. Using the equations E = (kq/(r^2))r, expressions for the x and y components of the electric field at point P can be written for each individual charge. By setting these equations equal to zero, the values of q2 and q3 can be solved for. The correct values for q2 and q3 are q2 = -0.042μC and q3 = 15.8 μC.
Ryan Sandoval

Homework Statement

Written Problem: Summing the Electric Field Three point charges q1, q2, and q3 are placed along a straight vertical line to create a “tripole”. At point P, which is directly to the right of q1, the net electric field is exactly zero. We also know that q1 = 1 μC.
b) Write a expressions for the x and y components of the electric field at point P ONLY from q1.
c) Write a expressions for the x and y components of the electric field at point P ONLY from q2.
d) Write a expressions for the x and y components of the electric field at point P ONLY from q3.
e) Using the previous parts, and the fact that the Electric Field is zero at P, solve for both q2 and q3.
f) A charge of value q4 = 1 μC is placed at point P. What is the force on charge q4?
efield =.jpg

Homework Equations

E[/B] = (kq/(r^2))r

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 0.01m , H = 0.03m , /r23 = 2.826(10^-6)m^2 ,/r33 = 3.1623(10^-5)m^2
x component of E = k[(q1/x^2) - (xq2/r23)+(xq3/r33)]=0
y component of E = k[(xq2/r23) - (Hq3/r33)] = 0
To solve for q2 and q3 I set the two equations together, as well as solving for q2 and q3 and using substitution to find their values.
The most logical answers I found were
q2 = -0.042μC
q3 = 15.8 μC

Plugging in those values of q2 and q3 do not give me a net electric field of zero.

If anyone can confirm that my components are correct, and if they are it must just be my algebra. If not I need some assistance! Thank you

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-30_19-59-26.png
    upload_2017-1-30_19-59-26.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
q3 is also given as positive

I agree with your value for q3, but not your value for q2. This indicates that your method is correct, but you went astray with the numerical calculation somewhere. Recheck your substitutions and your signs.

kuruman said:
I agree with your value for q3, but not your value for q2. This indicates that your method is correct, but you went astray with the numerical calculation somewhere. Recheck your substitutions and your signs.
Awesome thank you! That dang algebra.

What is a tripole?

A tripole is a type of electric circuit or system that consists of three charges: a positive charge and two equal but opposite negative charges, with the positive charge located between the two negative charges.

What is the purpose of calculating two unknown charges from a tripole?

The purpose of calculating two unknown charges from a tripole is to determine the values and locations of the two negative charges in the system. This information can be used to analyze and understand the behavior of the tripole in an electric field.

What is the formula for calculating two unknown charges from a tripole?

The formula for calculating two unknown charges from a tripole is q1 = (q2d)/(2d-b) and q3 = (q2b)/(2d-b), where q1 and q3 are the unknown charges, q2 is the known positive charge, and d and b are the distances between the charges as shown in the diagram.

What are the units for the charges and distances in the formula?

The charges in the formula are typically measured in units of coulombs (C), while the distances are measured in units of meters (m). It is important to use consistent units when plugging in values to the formula to ensure accurate calculations.

What are some real-life applications of calculating two unknown charges from a tripole?

Calculating two unknown charges from a tripole can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and electronics. It can be used to analyze and design circuits, understand the behavior of charged particles in an electric field, and predict the interactions between objects with electric charges.