How does XOR qualify as a linear function?

In summary, XOR is a fundamental operation in computer science, often referred to as a "linear" function. It is a function of two variables, and is defined as addition in a field with two elements. When applied to 32-bit integers, it is simply addition of 32-dimensional vectors over this field. XOR also qualifies as a bilinear map, satisfying the conditions of a linear transformation from two vectors to one vector. This concept is important in computer science and can be seen in various examples such as multiplication of complex numbers and the inner and cross products in vector spaces.
B-Con
In computer science the XOR operation is a very important one, and I've heard XOR referred to as a "linear" function. My experience with linear functions (in the sense of vector spaces) has only been with functions in one variable, but XOR is a function of two.

I know that we start by using the field [tex]F_2 = {0, 1}[/tex] in which addition is actually the XOR operation. So addition of two vectors from a vector space over that field (say, two 32-bit integers) is merely addition of the vectors using the field addition operation.

So then the XOR operation on 32-bit integers isn't a special function so much as it is really just addition of 32-dimension vectors over [tex]F_2[/tex]. So what is the definition for the addition of two elements in a field to be linear, and how does the (XOR) addition over [tex]F_2[/tex] qualify as linear?

I'm sure I've encountered these answers before, but I'm blanking at the moment. :-S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We are talking about addition of vectors, not addition in a field. The set of 32-bit integers is viewed as a 32-dimensional vector space over the field with 2 elements. Then apply the definition of "linear transformation" from linear algebra to see what it means.

But addition of vectors, by the definition of a vector space, is the dimension-by-dimension addition of the field elements, which uses the field addition.

My problem is that, as far as I can find, a linear transformation is from one vector to another vector. XOR is from two vectors to one vector.

I think the basic question here is: What is the definition of a linear function in two variables? Ie, if you have +: S×S → S, what must + satisfy to qualify as linear?

I can only find examples of linear functions with one variable.

The might want to look up the terms "bilinear" and "multilinear"...or I could just explain them here. Let [itex]T:U\times U\rightarrow V[/itex], where U and V are vector spaces. T is said to be bilinear if, for each u in U, the functions [itex]x\mapsto T(x,u)[/itex] and [itex]x\mapsto T(u,x)[/itex] are both linear. (Note that they are functions from U into V) . Multilinear is the same thing, except that you're dealing with a function of more than two varibles. The most general situation would be when you're dealing with a function like [itex]T:U_1\times\cdots\times U_n\rightarrow V[/itex].

Multiplication of complex numbers, the inner product on [itex]\mathbb R^n[/itex], and the cross product on [itex]\mathbb R^3[/itex], are good examples of bilinear maps.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
The might want to look up the terms "bilinear" and "multilinear"...or I could just explain them here. Let [itex]T:U\times U\rightarrow V[/itex], where U and V are vector spaces. T is said to be bilinear if, for each u in U, the functions [itex]x\mapsto T(x,u)[/itex] and [itex]x\mapsto T(u,x)[/itex] are both linear. (Note that they are functions from U into V) . Multilinear is the same thing, except that you're dealing with a function of more than two varibles. The most general situation would be when you're dealing with a function like [itex]T:U_1\times\cdots\times U_n\rightarrow V[/itex].

Multiplication of complex numbers, the inner product on [itex]\mathbb R^n[/itex], and the cross product on [itex]\mathbb R^3[/itex], are good examples of bilinear maps.

Ah, yes, that's what I was looking for. It slipped my mind. Thanks.

So XOR is just addition of vectors over F_2 and satisfies the conditions of a bilinear map.

What is the definition of a linear function?

A linear function is a mathematical function that can be represented by a straight line on a graph. It follows the general form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How does XOR qualify as a linear function?

XOR, or exclusive OR, is a logical operation that returns a true value only if both inputs are different. When plotted on a graph, XOR can be represented by a line with a slope of 1 and a y-intercept of 0, making it a linear function.

Can XOR be represented by a linear equation?

Yes, XOR can be represented by the equation y = x + 0, where x and y are the inputs and outputs of the function. This is a linear equation because it follows the general form of y = mx + b, where m = 1 and b = 0.

Why is XOR considered a linear function?

XOR is considered a linear function because it follows the definition of a linear function. It can be represented by a straight line on a graph and its output can be determined by a linear equation.

What are the practical applications of XOR as a linear function?

XOR is commonly used in computer programming and digital electronics as a logical operation. It can be used to encrypt data, create data checksums, and perform error detection. Its linearity also makes it useful for designing linear systems and circuits.