Antioxidants bad for your health?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Galteeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Health
In summary: It can get you started on the right path. The book should be intelligible for the educated layman. Although it is written for athletic species, conclusions applicable to other species can be drawn from its study. Most of the popular nutrition / athletic performance advice which can be found on internet is bogus, marketing driven and has nothing to do with science.
Galteeth
While searching the web, I came across this study: http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/297/8/842 published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, which suggests that anti-oxidants increase the risk of death.

Maybe it is just my lack of familarity with statistical methods, but this study seemed a bit odd. What does "all-cause mortality" refer to in this context?

Biology news on Phys.org
Monique said:
"all-cause mortality" means they have not stratified the data based on the cause of death. It's been published before that vitamin A and E increases risk of lung cancer in smokers, this articles gives an overview: http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/long/177/5/470

Monique,
I've found it's easy to waste time/money and risk health on various anti-oxidants, vitamins, and nutrients (I've certainly done it). Do you know of a good link to research the correct/suggested anti-oxidant/vitamin mix per a given medical condition or general health level - for instance adult male, 50, high blood pressure, under-active thyroid, perfect cholesterol, family history of cancer => list of preferred antioxidant or vitamin/nutrient mix?

Monique said:
"all-cause mortality" means they have not stratified the data based on the cause of death. It's been published before that vitamin A and E increases risk of lung cancer in smokers, this articles gives an overview: http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/long/177/5/470
Very interesting Monique, thanks.

WhoWee said:
Monique,
I've found it's easy to waste time/money and risk health on various anti-oxidants, vitamins, and nutrients (I've certainly done it). Do you know of a good link to research the correct/suggested anti-oxidant/vitamin mix per a given medical condition or general health level - for instance adult male, 50, high blood pressure, under-active thyroid, perfect cholesterol, family history of cancer => list of preferred antioxidant or vitamin/nutrient mix?
It's not something that I vigilantly follow, you can search PubMed for articles on the subject, but you should always judge the scope of a study. I think the best thing to do is to have a varied diet. If you are really interested in the subject you can visit a nutritionist.

Evo said:
Very interesting Monique, thanks.
You're welcome, it's an interesting twist that vitamins can increase your risk of cancer.

It would make sense that any abnormally high amount of anything would cause problems. Too much of a good thing, as the saying goes.

Also, as stated, we do not know enough about the interactions of the chemicals found in the natural food and how significant of a role they play in the overall beneficial value. Studies seem to indicate that simply isolating a single vitamin and ingesting it as a pill is not the same as eating the real thing, and in some cases, may even be harmful.

WhoWee said:
Monique,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0074716026/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It can get you started on the right path. The book should be intelligible for the educated layman. Although it is written for athletic species, conclusions applicable to other species can be drawn from its study. Most of the popular nutrition / athletic performance advice which can be found on internet is bogus, marketing driven and has nothing to do with science.

Generally it is unwise to interpret studied found on Pub-med without a certain degree of knowledge in integration of human metabolism.

Last edited by a moderator:
The study in the OP excluded about 1/3 of the articles found in their search because there was NO mortality reported in those studies. That seems to be a pretty strong bias toward finding an effect on mortality.

Of course, my bias is against these types of "studies" that go out and try to compile a bunch of data from numerous articles from unrelated research areas that loosely have one thing in common, disregard all the details of the studies, and try to draw some sort of conclusion from it, especially when the endpoints are as ambiguous as all-cause mortality. What use is it? If the individual studies tell you things like which type of condition the patient had and demonstrate whether the antioxidants in a particular dose range helped, hurt, or did nothing, why would you disregard that in favor of some more vague analysis? And, especially, why would you then exclude all the studies that showed no mortality? A review article summarizing which conditions are more likely to respond well to antioxidant treatment, which are not, and which have conflicting data and may need further study to sort out why the studies conflice, would have been far more useful than just lumping everything together and trying to make some very general statement about a whole range of antioxidants. Afterall, the question a physician reading JAMA needs to answer is, "Should I recommend this treatment to this patient presenting with this particular condition? And if I should, what doses should I recommend." This "study" doesn't help answer that question at all.

Monique's article is of interest.

Evo said:
Monique's article is of interest.

Yes, that is more to the point of actually addressing a specific risk group. With any vitamin supplement, generally, they're helpful if they prevent a vitamin deficiency (i.e., taking folic acid early in pregnancy to prevent spina bifida from a folic acid deficiency), but that doesn't mean that taking more than your body needs is a good thing.

Moonbear said:
Yes, that is more to the point of actually addressing a specific risk group. With any vitamin supplement, generally, they're helpful if they prevent a vitamin deficiency (i.e., taking folic acid early in pregnancy to prevent spina bifida from a folic acid deficiency), but that doesn't mean that taking more than your body needs is a good thing.

Yes, sometimes even mainstream brands of vitamin supplements can be way too hgh a dose. I figure this is a product of overy simplistic market pressure (more is always better.) For example, a CVS brand B-12 supplement: individual tablet is 33,333% of RDA. Yikes!

EDIT: Ha ha, that's not the kind of pressure I mean! It's funny PF's word filer always seem to hyperlink words in the wrong context.

Galteeth said:
Yes, sometimes even mainstream brands of vitamin supplements can be way too hgh a dose. I figure this is a product of overy simplistic market pressure (more is always better.) For example, a CVS brand B-12 supplement: individual tablet is 33,333% of RDA. Yikes!

EDIT: Ha ha, that's not the kind of pressure I mean! It's funny PF's word filer always seem to hyperlink words in the wrong context.

heh, there's a reason for that. B-12 absorption is pretty low to begin with.

the other thing, I've never seen any study or literature that shows a toxic effect from any dose of B-12, no matter how high, and i looked for a while. the amount of hydroxocobalamin directly injected into the blood stream for cyanide poisoning is so high that patients pee red. you'll never get anywhere close to that with pills.

Proton Soup said:
heh, there's a reason for that. B-12 absorption is pretty low to begin with.

the other thing, I've never seen any study or literature that shows a toxic effect from any dose of B-12, no matter how high, and i looked for a while. the amount of hydroxocobalamin directly injected into the blood stream for cyanide poisoning is so high that patients pee red. you'll never get anywhere close to that with pills.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but this was actually cyanocobalamin.

Galteeth said:
Don't know if it makes a difference, but this was actually cyanocobalamin.

it first has to pass through the liver to become methyl- or adenosyl-cobalamin, but for most people it won't make a difference. oral cyano- is actually suggested for treating deficiency. good article here: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030301/979.html

Galteeth said:

Wow. I take a multivitamin supplement and a calcium supplement (the multivitamin lacks calcium), but I halve the dose and don't take it daily -- the amounts are too high.

Multivitamins always make me feel miserable. I don't know whether I'm oversensitive for one of the ingredients that is unrelated to the vitamins/minerals, but I avoid them.

Monique said:
Multivitamins always make me feel miserable. I don't know whether I'm oversensitive for one of the ingredients that is unrelated to the vitamins/minerals, but I avoid them.

i would make sure to take them with a meal if you're not. some minerals can cause nausea if there's enough of it in an ionic form (zinc and especially copper), but they usually put the cheap oxides in there. another option might be to break them up and spread them out over two or three meals.

1. Are all antioxidants bad for your health?

No, not all antioxidants are bad for your health. In fact, many antioxidants are essential for our bodies to function properly. Antioxidants are molecules that help prevent damage to our cells caused by harmful free radicals. Without antioxidants, our cells would be more prone to damage and diseases.

2. Can consuming too many antioxidants be harmful?

Yes, consuming excessive amounts of antioxidants can be harmful. Our bodies have a natural balance of antioxidants and free radicals, and disrupting this balance by consuming too many antioxidants can have negative effects. Some studies have shown that excessive intake of antioxidants may increase the risk of certain diseases.

3. Is it possible to overdose on antioxidants?

Yes, it is possible to overdose on antioxidants. While most antioxidants are water-soluble and are flushed out of our bodies, some are fat-soluble and can accumulate in our tissues. This can lead to an overdose and potentially harmful effects. It is important to consume antioxidants in moderation and in balance with other nutrients.

4. Are there any natural sources of antioxidants that are bad for your health?

Yes, there are some natural sources of antioxidants that can be harmful to our health. For example, some herbal supplements and plants contain high levels of antioxidants that can interact with medications or cause allergic reactions. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before consuming any natural sources of antioxidants.

5. Are there any potential side effects of consuming antioxidants?

Yes, there can be potential side effects of consuming antioxidants. Some studies have shown that high doses of antioxidants may interfere with certain medical treatments, such as chemotherapy. Additionally, consuming large amounts of antioxidants from supplements may cause nausea, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues. It is important to consume antioxidants in moderation and from a variety of sources.