Schmidt decomposition theorem proof

In summary, the Schmidt decomposition theorem states that for any x\otimes y\in H_1\otimes H_2, there exists a choice of bases for these Hilbert spaces such that x\otimes y can be expressed as a sum of terms of the form \sqrt{p_n}\ a_n\otimes b_n, where \sum_n\sqrt{p_n}=1. This theorem applies to all members of the tensor product space, not just members of the form x\otimes y. There is a proof for the finite-dimensional case, but the focus is on the infinite-dimensional case. The theorem can be related to the eigenvalues of operators of the form (T*T)1/2,
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I would be interested in seeing a correct statement and proof of the Schmidt decomposition theorem that (I think) says that if [itex]x\otimes y\in H_1\otimes H_2[/itex], there exists a choice of bases for these Hilbert spaces, such that

[tex]x\otimes y=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \sqrt{p_n}\ a_n\otimes b_n[/tex]

with [itex]\sum_n\sqrt{p_n}=1[/itex]. I'm not even sure that this is what the theorem says. Maybe it applies to all members of the tensor product space, and not just members of the form [itex]x\otimes y[/itex]. Wikipedia has a proof for the finite-dimensional case (here), but I'm more interested in the infinite-dimensional case. (I haven't made the effort to try to understand the finite-dimensional case yet). I found this, but I don't see how to relate it to what I wrote above. Maybe it's a completely different theorem, but there are some similarities with Wikipedia's approach (they both talk about eigenvalues of operators of the form (T*T)1/2) that suggest that this is in fact the right theorem, and that I just need to figure out how to use it. (The pages that can't be read at Google Books can be read at Amazon).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe try section 2.4 of Preskill's notes http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/#lecture .

1. What is the Schmidt decomposition theorem?

The Schmidt decomposition theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that any pure state of a composite quantum system can be expressed as a linear combination of product states of its component systems.

2. What is the importance of the Schmidt decomposition theorem?

The Schmidt decomposition theorem is important because it provides a way to simplify the representation of entangled quantum states, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them.

3. What is the proof of the Schmidt decomposition theorem?

The proof of the Schmidt decomposition theorem involves using the singular value decomposition (SVD) of a matrix to decompose a composite quantum state into a linear combination of product states. It also utilizes the concept of Schmidt coefficients, which are the coefficients of the SVD.

4. What are some applications of the Schmidt decomposition theorem?

The Schmidt decomposition theorem has various applications in quantum information theory, including quantum teleportation, quantum cryptography, and quantum error correction. It is also used in quantum machine learning and quantum algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schmidt decomposition theorem?

One limitation of the Schmidt decomposition theorem is that it only applies to pure states of composite quantum systems. It cannot be used for mixed states, which require a different decomposition method. Additionally, the Schmidt decomposition may not always give the most efficient representation of an entangled state.