3D object inverted w.r.t. a sphere

• Thread starter neelakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Sphere
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inversion geometry and its applications. It is explained that a point inside a sphere can be inverted with respect to the spherical surface to another point outside, and this technique can also be applied to 3D objects. The process of inversion is further explained using mathematical equations and examples. It is also mentioned that inversion has many practical applications in fields such as complex analysis and special relativity. The conversation ends with a recommendation to learn more about inversive geometry.
neelakash
Few days back I posted a question here that dealt with inversion geometry. A point P inside a sphere can be inverted with respect to the spherical surface to another point P' outside. Center of the sphere O,P and P' are collinear and OPxOP'=r^2

I was wondering if it is possible to get a 3D object inverted with respect to a sphere. It means that given I have an object (a collection of points) outside the sphere. I know its shape, coordinates etc. Is it possible to calculate the shape inverted with respect to the sphere? After all, it is a collection of points for which inversion technique works elegantly. Does anyone know whether this has been done somewhere or not? To me, it looks that
for some regular objects, it may be found...but I am not sure how?

-Neel

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure it's possible — given a set of points, apply your definition to each point! One minor nit-pick: given an n-1 dimensional sphere in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], inversion is only defined with respect to the complement of the center of the sphere. To extend to the center, we need to add a "point at infinity."

To see what's going on, let's try it with the simplest possible case: inversion in the unit circle in [tex]\mathbb{R}^2 \cup \{\infty\}[/tex]. Since the reciprocal of a complex number is just "inversion followed by reflection about the real axis," we may as well work in [tex]\mathbb{C} \cup \{\infty\}[/tex] instead, then

[tex]
i_C(z) = \frac{1}{z^*},
[/tex]

that is to say,

[tex]
i_C(x+i y) = \frac{1}{x - i y} = \frac{x + i y}{x^2 + y^2},
[/tex]

which, as you explained, is the unique point on the line through z and the origin such that [tex]\left|z\right| \cdot \left|i_C(z)\right| = 1[/tex].

Now say we have a parameterized curve given by a map

[tex]\gamma: [0, 1] \to \mathbb{C}.[/tex]

For simplicity, assume it doesn't pass through the origin. Then we invert it by passing the result through our inversion map: [tex]i_C \circ \gamma[/tex]. For example, inverting the line segment

[tex]\gamma(t) = 2t - 1 + i[/tex]

gives

[tex]i_C \circ \gamma(t) = \frac{1}{2t - 1 - i} = \frac{2t-1 + i}{4t^2 - 4t + 2}.[/tex]

As you can http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?.../(4t^2+-+4t++++2),1/(4t^2+-+4t++++2)}+t=0..1", this is a semicircle.

In case you're not familiar with complex numbers, the "y" coordinate is the imaginary part, that is, the bit being multiplied by [tex]i[/tex], while the "x" coordinate is the "real part," i.e., the rest. This is why I "simplified" the expression above in a way that makes it appear more complicated. Also, it'd probably look nicer in polar coordinates.

Working out similar formulas for spheres in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] shouldn't be hard — the usual trick for this sort of thing is, work out the map for the simplest case (a sphere centered around the origin, say), then "translate" your formulas as appropriate. Taking spherical coordinates could also help.

Inversion is indeed an elegant technique — https://www.amazon.com/dp/069112745X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (follow this link and watch the video!), which, among other things, have applications to complex analysis, non-Euclidean geometry, and special relativity.

Whether or not coordinate expressions of inversion are "elegant" is really a matter of what it is you're trying to invert — if you think of a line as a "circle of infinite radius," inversion "takes circles to circles," and there are especially nice relationships involving circles that intersect the inversion circle (as in the example above), or at right angles to it, and those passing through the origin, so your mileage may vary. Returning to the example above, I can't think of an easier way to find a rational parametrization of a circular arc.

The case with spheres (of any dimension!) is mostly the same.

Chapter 3 of Needham's http://usf.usfca.edu/vca/" has a short, but particularly well-written section on Möbius transformations in the complex plane.

In summary, inversive geometry is both beautiful and useful, and certainly worth learning about!

Cheers,
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 3D object inverted with respect to a sphere?

A 3D object inverted with respect to a sphere is a three-dimensional object that appears to be flipped inside out when viewed from the center of a surrounding sphere. This means that the exterior surface of the object is now on the interior and vice versa.

2. How is a 3D object inverted with respect to a sphere different from a regular 3D object?

A regular 3D object has its exterior surface on the outside and its interior surface on the inside, while an inverted 3D object has its exterior surface on the inside and its interior surface on the outside. This results in a significant difference in the appearance and properties of the object.

3. What are some real-life examples of 3D objects inverted with respect to a sphere?

One common example is a hollow sphere, such as a beach ball or a bubble. When viewed from the center of the sphere, the exterior surface appears to be on the interior. Other examples include a balloon, an inflatable ball, or a globe.

4. How is the concept of 3D object inverted with respect to a sphere relevant in science?

This concept is relevant in fields such as astronomy and physics, as it helps to understand the behavior of celestial bodies and the curvature of space. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic 3D models and environments.

5. Can a non-spherical object be inverted with respect to a sphere?

Yes, any three-dimensional object can be inverted with respect to a sphere as long as it has a defined exterior and interior surface. This concept can also be extended to higher dimensions, such as a 4D object inverted with respect to a 3D hypersphere.