A mathematical issue raised from perturbation theory

In summary, the basic assumption of time-independent perturbation theory in QM is that the new states of H' can be expanded in terms of the old ones of H_0, and this is justified by the completeness of the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. However, this assumption may not always be true, as in the case of expanding a free-particle wavepacket in terms of eigenfunctions of an infinite square well. It can be applied exactly when the Hilbert spaces on which H_0 and H' are defined are the same, and when V is relatively compact with respect to H_0.
kof9595995
Take the usual time-independent perturbation theory in QM for example,H'=H_0+V, a basic assumption is we can expand the new states of H' in terms of the old ones of H_0, most of the textbooks justify this assumption by reasoning that the set of eigenfunctions of Hamiltonian is complete, regardless of the old H_0 or the new H'. But I guess this assumption can't be always true, for example, you can't possibly write a free-particle wavepacket in terms of eigenfuntions of infinite square well. So when can this assumption be applied exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
I asked pretty much this same question https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=432504". I never completely got the answer I was looking for, but after then looking around a little bit more, it seems like the answer is that you can apply this assumption whenever the wavefunctions have support over the region you're interested in--that is, they are nonzero in that region. So an infinite square well has wavefunctions with vanishing support outside of the well, meaning they can't be a complete basis for plane waves, but they are a complete basis for anything else with support over the same region.

I may not have been 100% correct on all the mathematical details of that, but I think the basic argument is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with the infinite square well is that the Hilbert spaces on which H_0 and H' are defined are different. Mathematically you do not have an infinite potential outside the well but you set the wave functions to zero restricting the Hilbert space to L²[a,b]where a and b are the boundaries of the well.

But of course coming from the free particle Hilbert space (which is larger) you can write the eigenfunctions of H' as a Fourier integral which is equivalent to "summing" over the (generalized) eigenfunctions of the free particle.

If you consider only perturbtations V which do not change the Hilbert space then expanding the full solutions in terms of the free solutions is fine. In case V restricts the Hilbert space it should work as well.

kof9595995 said:
Take the usual time-independent perturbation theory in QM for example,H'=H_0+V, a basic assumption is we can expand the new states of H' in terms of the old ones of H_0, most of the textbooks justify this assumption by reasoning that the set of eigenfunctions of Hamiltonian is complete, regardless of the old H_0 or the new H'. But I guess this assumption can't be always true, for example, you can't possibly write a free-particle wavepacket in terms of eigenfuntions of infinite square well. So when can this assumption be applied exactly?

The right assumption is that H_0 and V are defined on the same dense domain of the Hilbert space, and that V is relatively compact with respect to H_0. These terms are explained in functional analysis texts, or in the math. physics books by Reed and Simon (Vol.1) or Thirring (Vol.3).

Thanks, I'll try to look at it.

A. Neumaier said:
The right assumption is that H_0 and V are defined on the same dense domain of the Hilbert space, and that V is relatively compact with respect to H_0. These terms are explained in functional analysis texts, or in the math. physics books by Reed and Simon (Vol.1) or Thirring (Vol.3).

What does "with respect to" mean in this context? The meanings of "compact",
"relatively compact subset", etc, are easy enough to find, but I didn't find the
"with respect to" bit. I'm guess it has something to do with range(V) being
relatively compact in range(H_0) ?

strangerep said:
What does "with respect to" mean in this context? The meanings of "compact",
"relatively compact subset", etc, are easy enough to find, but I didn't find the
"with respect to" bit. I'm guess it has something to do with range(V) being
relatively compact in range(H_0) ?

The linear operator V is compact relatively to H if for every bounded set B in the
Hilbert space H, the set {V psi | H psi in B} has a compact closure.

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate a solution to a problem that is too complex to solve directly. It involves breaking down the problem into simpler parts and then using these solutions to approximate the overall solution.

2. How is perturbation theory used in science?

Perturbation theory is used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is particularly useful in studying systems that are affected by small changes or disturbances, such as the behavior of atoms or molecules in a chemical reaction.

3. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

One limitation of perturbation theory is that it can only provide an approximate solution, which may not be accurate for all scenarios. Additionally, it may not work well for systems that are highly nonlinear or have large perturbations.

4. How is perturbation theory different from other mathematical methods?

Perturbation theory differs from other methods, such as numerical or analytical techniques, in that it focuses on finding an approximate solution rather than an exact one. It also relies on simplifying the problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. What are some applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has many applications in science and engineering, including quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and celestial mechanics. It is also used in many real-world problems, such as predicting the effects of small changes in climate or economic systems.