oldman said:
Your welcome comments, Phrak, show thinking somewhat parallel to mine. I'll try and reply to comments by George Jones and Daverz a bit later --- I'm about 80 Km or so from a library that I know has a copy of Misner et al. Not so sure about Plebanski and Krasinski. In the meantime, thanks to both for these replies.
I have one further primitive thought. General relativity does accommodate uniform change of scale, as in the expansion of the universe. And uniform shear is essentially uniform (but anisotropic) scale-change; one can always (in three spatial dimensions at least) rotate axes to change shear to superimposed expansion and contraction. But what about non-uniform shear? Too complicated? Uniform scale-change always makes my simple mind boggle; where's the reference ruler? Made of electromagnetism, I guess.
I haven't really been keeping up with your thread, but there are a few thing to know about.
Torsion, as the term is applied, means that the connection coefficients can have antisymmetric parts. For each upper index of the connection there is a 4x4 matrix. The 4x4 matrix can be decomposed into symmetric and antisymmetric parts. The antisymmetric part is what is referred to as torsion.
General relativity, you should know, assumes that the connection is torsion free. It premises that the antisymmetric part is zero amplitue. Of all possible connections, gereral relativity relies upon the torsion-free Christoffell connection.
[tex]\Gamma_{\mu\nu}^{\sigma} = \Gamma_{\nu\mu}^{\sigma}[/tex]
Riemann geometry, on the other hand, is more inclusive than general relativity. I'm not completely clear on the following. If all that we have to work with is a metric with a point-set topology, this defined Riemann geometry.
There are two good questions about the differences between the more general Riemann geometry and the specific instanciation that is general relativity.
1) Does a point-set topology impressed with a metric preclude a torsion component to the connection?
2) If the torsion component is not precluded, does the torsion constitute an additional field on the point-set topology other than the metric?