Is this conservation of momentum?

In summary, the problem is that the rod can't maintain its angular momentum after the bullet has hit it.
Cyrad2
The problem is:
A uniform thin rod of length = .5m and mass M = 4.0kg can rotate in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis through its center (I = ML^2/12). The rod is at rest when a bullet of mass m = 3.0g traveling in the horizontal plance of the rod is fired into one end of the rod. As viewed from above, the direction fo the bullets velocity makes an angle of theta=60 with the rod. If the bullet lodges into the rod and the angular velocity of the rod is 10rad/s immediately after the collision, what is the bullet's speed just before impact?
This is a review question for a test I have monday, the answer is1290m/s, but I can't get that.

Here's what I did (which is obviously incorrect):
I = (1/12)ML^2 + m(L/2)^2

conservation of momentum?
mv = Iw
v = Iw/m
= (1/12)ML^2 + m(L/2)^2 / m
= wrong.

Is conservation of momentum the right tool to be using to solve this? ...how does theta play into it? Any tips will be *greatly* appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrad2 said:
Here's what I did (which is obviously incorrect):
I = (1/12)ML^2 + m(L/2)^2
This is correct for the rotational inertia of the system (rod + bullet) after the collision.

conservation of momentum?
mv = Iw
v = Iw/m
= (1/12)ML^2 + m(L/2)^2 / m
= wrong.
Two problems here:
(1) You are mixing up linear and angular momentum; they aren't the same thing---the units don't even match.
(2) In this problem, angular momentum is conserved. What's the angular momentum of the bullet just before it hits the rod?

Is conservation of momentum the right tool to be using to solve this?
Conservation of angular momentum is.
...how does theta play into it?
It will allow you to determine the angular momentum of the bullet.

Cyrad2 said:
The problem is:
A uniform thin rod of length = .5m and mass M = 4.0kg can rotate in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis through its center (I = ML^2/12). The rod is at rest when a bullet of mass m = 3.0g traveling in the horizontal plance of the rod is fired into one end of the rod. As viewed from above, the direction fo the bullets velocity makes an angle of theta=60 with the rod. If the bullet lodges into the rod and the angular velocity of the rod is 10rad/s immediately after the collision, what is the bullet's speed just before impact?

Is conservation of momentum the right tool to be using to solve this?

No. Use conservation of angular momentum instead. The initial angular momentum is that of the bullet and it is mv(L/2)sin(theta) with respect to the rotation axis.

ehild

Great! Thanks guys. You helped a bunch...now I know what I need to go back and study :-) Have a great sunday!

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a closed system, the total amount of momentum before and after a collision or interaction remains the same.

2. How is conservation of momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of momentum is a direct consequence of Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, their momenta will change in opposite directions, but the total momentum of the system will remain constant.

3. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

Some common examples of conservation of momentum include billiard balls colliding, a person jumping off a boat onto the dock, and a rocket launching into space. In all of these scenarios, the total momentum before and after the interaction remains the same.

4. Why is conservation of momentum important in science?

Conservation of momentum is important in science because it is a fundamental law that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is also essential in fields such as engineering and astronomy, where the conservation of momentum is crucial for designing and predicting the movements of objects.

5. Are there any exceptions to conservation of momentum?

There are certain situations where conservation of momentum may not apply, such as when external forces are present, or when objects interact over long distances. However, in most cases, conservation of momentum is a reliable principle that accurately describes the behavior of objects in motion.