Why Do I Have to Keep Signing In Repeatedly on My Device?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary: In Opera, the no-www version still works well for me but the www version kicks me off after about 2 minutes. It seems to be working a bit better in Firefox, but it isn't my primary browser so I wouldn't
yungman
I have to keep signing in!

What happen that in the last two days, I have to keep signing in every time I left and came back in?

Physics news on Phys.org

Me too! Need to sign in over and over again during the past 12 hours.

Cause of the problem: The site went through an upgrade Wednesday. Your stored cookies are confusing the upgraded software.

The solution: First log out from PhysicsForums, clear all of your cookies from this site, and close your browser. Next reopen your browser and log back into PhysicsForums. If you select the "Remember me" box during the login it will once again remember you.

Me too. Thank you for the fix, all better now :)

What browsers are all y'all using? I'm on Chrome and the problem went away on its own after a couple sign ins.

D H said:
Cause of the problem: The site went through an upgrade Wednesday. Your stored cookies are confusing the upgraded software.

The solution: First log out from PhysicsForums, clear all of your cookies from this site, and close your browser. Next reopen your browser and log back into PhysicsForums. If you select the "Remember me" box during the login it will once again remember you.

I have the Windows 7 and I don't know where the cookies are. I use Firefox.

yungman said:
I have the Windows 7 and I don't know where the cookies are. I use Firefox.

in firefox, Go to tools, then options, then the privacy tab, then "show cookies" (on the mid-left), then either remove all cookies, or choose the folder for physics forums and remove those cookies.

dacruick said:
What browsers are all y'all using? I'm on Chrome and the problem went away on its own after a couple sign ins.

I had the problem with chrome and safari, but not with IE.

ArcanaNoir said:
I had the problem with chrome and safari, but not with IE.

Hmm, interesting. maybe occasionally my dell eats cookies.

ArcanaNoir said:
in firefox, Go to tools, then options, then the privacy tab, then "show cookies" (on the mid-left), then either remove all cookies, or choose the folder for physics forums and remove those cookies.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. It seems to work now. You even taught me to get the tool bar up on Firefox! When comes to computer, I am not the brightest bulb on the tree....In fact kind of dim!:rofl:

Happy Thanksgiving...Turkey day!

Where do i find the cookie folder of Internet Explorer 9?
I found a folder with many files like cookie:xxxx but couldn't find anything that xxxx has physicsforums in it.

Last edited:

Just some feedback as of today:

Using Opera 11.52 under Kubuntu 11.04
I still have to sign in pretty much every 10 minutes.

Yes, I have emptied cookies, restarted the browser, etc.
It was functioning fine before the update...

Thoughts?

Edit: I just tested - It happens for me in FireFox as well.

Last edited:

Sankaku said:
Just some feedback as of today:

Using Opera 11.52 under Kubuntu 11.04
I still have to sign in pretty much every 10 minutes.

Yes, I have emptied cookies, restarted the browser, etc.
It was functioning fine before the update...

Thoughts?

Edit: I just tested - It happens for me in FireFox as well.

Are you checking the "remember me" box?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you checking the "remember me" box?

Yes, I made sure that was checked. The strange thing is that the problem seemed to be fixed and I did not have to re-login all day. I was on the site 20 minutes ago and all was well. However, I just jumped to this subforum (from the email digest link) and I suddenly find I am logged out.

I am afraid I can't see enough of a pattern to be much help.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Start paying attention to whether the link has www or not. Let me know.
Bingo.

If it has www, the login problems occur. Without www, everything is fine.

Everything i ve tried has failed. Except the www thing. I try it now and see it works, physicsforums.com doesn't need relogin but www.physicsforums.com it does. I think it is a bug of the site or Internet Explorer 9 (i don't use other browsers).

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just changed a setting. Any better?

No Joy.

In Opera, the no-www version still works well for me but the www version kicks me off after about 2 minutes. It seems to be working a bit better in Firefox, but it isn't my primary browser so I wouldn't notice any problems outside of poking around for 10 minutes.

I notice that the links on the front page, while in no-www mode, all jump properly to no-www pages, except the little sub-forum links (like Science Book Discussion) that jump to a www version and thus don't have me logged in. If I remove the www, everything is fine.

I noticed that clearing the cache, as recommended, did not work by itself.

You need also to change your favourites/bookmarks by typing in the URL without www and then overwriting your previous bookmark (choose 'Add to favourites' and 'yes to 'replace existing').

That's odd. I don't doubt that it's true, but I don't understand what could be causing it. My bookmark is for www.physicsforums.com, and all I needed to to was to delete the PF cookies.

Sankaku said:
It seems to be working a bit better in Firefox, but it isn't my primary browser so I wouldn't notice any problems outside of poking around for 10 minutes.

Tested again today - it has dumped me out of www but not the other. It certainly lasts longer than in Opera, though.

The strange thing is, in FF, once I went to the no-www page and it showed me as logged in, when I went back to the www page I was now logged in.

In 30min I will be changing a setting that will reset everyone's cookies. This will essentially log everyone out. I am hoping this is the step that works! Sorry for the inconvenience!

Greg Bernhardt said:
In 30min I will be changing a setting that will reset everyone's cookies. This will essentially log everyone out. I am hoping this is the step that works! Sorry for the inconvenience!
Why do I get the pessimistic worry that in 30mins we'll all be kicked out and never allowed back...

Ryan_m_b said:
Why do I get the pessimistic worry that in 30mins we'll all be kicked out and never allowed back...

Just you ;)

Greg Bernhardt said:

Well, that worked, in the sense that I had to log in again.

But for the FIRST time since this thread was started, it then logged me off by the time I had finished writing a fairly long post.

FWIW something was screwing up PF between about 23:00 GMT 13 Dec and 01:00 14 Dec. Many attempts to open threads timed out. A couple of times I got messages saying "waiting for some page to do with viglink", other times just "IE8 can't display this page".

The same thing happened again a couple of times at about 20:00 14 Dec, and after that problem went away but I then got logged off...

AlephZero said:
Well, that worked, in the sense that I had to log in again.

But for the FIRST time since this thread was started, it then logged me off by the time I had finished writing a fairly long post.

So it didn't work? You are still getting logged off since a couple hours ago?

AlephZero said:
FWIW something was screwing up PF between about 23:00 GMT 13 Dec and 01:00 14 Dec. Many attempts to open threads timed out. A couple of times I got messages saying "waiting for some page to do with viglink", other times just "IE8 can't display this page".

The same thing happened again a couple of times at about 20:00 14 Dec, and after that problem went away but I then got logged off...

Likely backup.

Greg Bernhardt said:
So it didn't work? You are still getting logged off since a couple hours ago?

Only once. Maybe that was because I had more than one browser window open on PF when I logged in, or something. If it happens again I'll post an update.

BTW I got another few minutes of links timing out at about 23:30 GMT 14 Dec.

Greg Bernhardt said:
II am hoping this is the step that works! Sorry for the inconvenience!

I am now logged into both www and non-www, without having to do them separately! Thank-you!

1. Why do I have to keep signing in repeatedly on my device?

The most common reason for repeatedly signing in on your device is for security purposes. Many websites and apps require users to sign in each time they access the platform to ensure that the person using the device is the authorized user. This helps prevent unauthorized access to your personal information and keeps your account secure.

2. Can I disable the need to sign in repeatedly on my device?

In most cases, the need to sign in repeatedly on your device cannot be disabled. This is because it is a security measure put in place to protect your personal information. However, some devices and platforms may offer the option to stay signed in for a longer period of time or use biometric authentication methods such as fingerprint or facial recognition to make signing in quicker and easier.

3. Will signing in repeatedly on my device drain my battery?

No, signing in repeatedly on your device should not significantly affect your battery life. However, if you are constantly signing in and out of multiple apps or websites, it may contribute to battery drain. To optimize battery life, it is recommended to close apps and log out of websites when not in use.

4. Is there a way to remember my login information and avoid signing in repeatedly?

Some websites and apps offer the option to save your login information, so you do not have to enter it each time you access the platform. However, this is not recommended for security reasons, as anyone who has access to your device can easily log in to your accounts. It is best to manually enter your login information each time or use a password manager to securely store your login credentials.

5. Is signing in repeatedly a sign of a technical issue with my device?

In most cases, repeatedly signing in on your device is not a sign of a technical issue. However, if you are experiencing other issues with your device, such as slow performance or freezing, it may be worth checking for any software updates or running a diagnostic test to ensure everything is functioning properly.