Wind Map US: Near Live Wind Trails Visualized

In summary, the conversation is about a website called hint.fm/wind which shows a top-down visual of near live wind trails in the US. The participants express their excitement for the map and discuss potential features such as integrating it with Google Earth and adding temperature overlays. They also mention bookmarking the site and experiencing issues with different browsers. The conversation ends with a mention of using the map to track Hurricane Isaac and Hurricane Sandy.
Top down visual of near live wind trails in the US. Really neat!
http://hint.fm/wind/

Now we just need it overlayed on google maps!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Thank you, Greg, for the tip. Great wind trail map, and I agree with you, I'd love it to be integrated into Google Earth.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

This will be fun to watch for tornado and hurricane season!

Even better would be an overlay of temperature :eek:

Wow, cool map!

It looks like the US is getting hairy :tongue2:

Wow, watching mass destruction at your fingertips. What else could one ask for !?

BTW, it slows my normally fast machine to a crawl, nice find Greg.

Bookmarked...

Rhody...

woah, nice.
thanks greg.
also bookmarked :D

Doesn't work, it says to use chrome, they designed it not to work with IE? Yes, I like IE 7, I like the tools, makes it more user friendly for me.

Evo said:
Doesn't work, it says to use chrome, they designed it not to work with IE? Yes, I like IE 7, I like the tools, makes it more user friendly for me.

Right now it shows heavy winds east of denver and north of dallas.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm going to forget the last half of your comment :D
:biggrin: I get enough grief from Jhae about it.

Evo said:
:biggrin: I get enough grief from Jhae about it.

Evo,

I use FireFox, old release: 3.6.28, no issues what so ever.

Rhody... :wink:

Today it's about the eye of Isaac

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/isaac.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea, Greg, to bump this great wind map for all of us...members and visitors alike. It's a remarkable view of our winds in real time (+ or - a few minutes).

1. What is Wind Map US: Near Live Wind Trails Visualized?

Wind Map US: Near Live Wind Trails Visualized is a real-time interactive map that displays the movement and direction of wind across the United States. It uses data from weather stations to create animated wind trails, providing a unique visual representation of wind patterns across the country.

2. How does Wind Map US work?

Wind Map US uses data from the National Digital Forecast Database (NDFD) to create real-time wind visualizations. The map is updated every hour and uses color-coded lines to represent wind speed and direction. The thicker and longer the lines, the stronger the winds are in that area.

3. What is the purpose of Wind Map US?

The purpose of Wind Map US is to provide a visually engaging and informative representation of wind patterns in the United States. It can be used for educational purposes to help people understand the movement and strength of wind, as well as for practical purposes such as planning outdoor activities or tracking weather systems.

4. Can Wind Map US be used for forecasting weather?

No, Wind Map US should not be used as a tool for forecasting weather. It is designed to display near-live wind data and is not intended for making predictions about future weather patterns.

5. Is Wind Map US accurate?

Wind Map US uses data from reliable sources such as the National Weather Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. However, the accuracy of the map may vary depending on the quality and availability of data from weather stations. Additionally, the map is for visual representation only and should not be used for making important decisions.