Solving Basketball Parabola Puzzle: Initial Velocity at 35°

In summary: Using the given information and the known equations for projectile motion, the initial velocity can be found to be 11m/s at an angle of approximately 13 degrees above the horizontal.
rockersdash

Homework Statement

A basketball player is standing 9.5 m from the basket, which is at a height of 3.1m. she throws the ball from a initial height of 2m at an angle of 35 degrees above the horizontal. The ball goes through the basket. Determine intial velocity.

PS Assume the max height of the parabola of the ball is 1.1 m.

Homework Equations

Dont know

The Attempt at a Solution

I took only half the parabola diagram and assumed v2 is 0 m/s

Vert

v1 = ?
v2 = 0 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s^2
max height = 1.1 m

I used the equation

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

and got v1 as 4.64 m/s and from there on on I found initial velocity at an angle.

BUT the textbook gives a different answer (11m/s) as the initial velocity at an angle.

I can't figure out why I'm getting this wrong and my teacher sasys she will come back to me as she can't figure the mistake in mine... so help LOL

Physics news on Phys.org

Not sure why you need to assume the max height of the parabola is 1.1m. It is already starting out at 2m.

The textbook answer of 11m/s can be obtained by solving a system of 2 equations- one describing the motion in the y-axis and the other for the x-axis.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of a basketball parabola puzzle?

The basketball parabola puzzle is a physics problem that requires the use of parabolic motion to solve. It involves finding the initial velocity of a basketball shot at a 35-degree angle to make it successfully land in a basket.

2. Why is it important to know the initial velocity at 35 degrees for a basketball shot?

Knowing the initial velocity at a specific angle is essential for accurately predicting the trajectory of a basketball shot. This information can help players improve their shooting skills and make more successful shots on the court.

3. What factors affect the initial velocity of a basketball shot?

The initial velocity of a basketball shot is influenced by several factors, including the angle of release, the force applied to the ball, and the air resistance. The player's strength and technique also play a role in determining the initial velocity.

4. How can one solve the basketball parabola puzzle to find the initial velocity at 35 degrees?

The basketball parabola puzzle can be solved using the principles of projectile motion. By using equations such as the range equation and the kinematic equations, one can determine the initial velocity needed to make a successful shot at a 35-degree angle.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the parabolic motion of a basketball shot?

Understanding the parabolic motion of a basketball shot has many real-life applications, such as in sports training, video analysis of a player's technique, and designing efficient basketball courts. It also has broader applications in fields such as physics and engineering, where knowledge of projectile motion is crucial.