Find Initial Velocity of Projectile Basketball

In summary, the problem involves a 1.94 m tall basketball player trying to make a basket from a distance of 19.8 m without hitting the backboard. Using the equations of projectile motion and the concept of meeting in the x and y direction at the same time, the initial velocity needed to achieve this is found to be 5.61 m/s at an angle of 58.7°.
gummybeargirl

Homework Statement

An 1.94 m tall basketball player wants to make a basket from a distance d = 19.8 m. If he shoots the ball at θ = 58.7° angle, at what initial speed must he throw the basketball so that it goes through the hoop without striking the backboard? The height of the basketball hoop is 3.05 m.
ΔH(y) = 1.11 m
d(x) = 19.8 m
θ = 58.7°
a(y) = -9.81 m/s^2

Homework Equations

x(t) = X_0 + V_0x*t
v(y) = V_0y - g*t
v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2a*d

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = V_iy^2 + 2(-9.81)(1.11) → 4.66 m/s
0 = 4.66 + (-9.81)t → 0.475 s
V_0 = 4.66/sin(56.2) → 5.61 m/s
This is not the correct final answer and i am not sure where to even start with this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is v_f = 0?

You can't just plug numbers into equations, you need to think about what you are doing. This is a projectile motion problem. There are two coordinates in this case that need to be thought about. What is the common variable between the x and the y that you can use to find the velocity that will allow the basketball to reach the hoop without hitting the backboard?

Edit: I'm sorry, clearly you are thinking, it's just that you need to really think ahead is what I meant. You need to identify the problem, think about what kind of conditions need to be satisfied in order for the basketball to reach the net, etc.

Regtic said:
You can't just plug numbers into equations, you need to think about what you are doing. This is a projectile motion problem. There are two coordinates in this case that need to be thought about. What is the common variable between the x and the y that you can use to find the velocity that will allow the basketball to reach the hoop without hitting the backboard?

Edit: I'm sorry, clearly you are thinking, it's just that you need to really think ahead is what I meant. You need to identify the problem, think about what kind of conditions need to be satisfied in order for the basketball to reach the net, etc.

I have been working on this problem for 2 hours and no matter what i try i get the same answer and it is the wrong answer. The only thing i think to try to set equal is time (t) and every time i do that i get the initial velocity as 14.4 m/s and that is incorrect.

gummybeargirl said:

Homework Statement

An 1.94 m tall basketball player wants to make a basket from a distance d = 19.8 m. If he shoots the ball at θ = 58.7° angle, at what initial speed must he throw the basketball so that it goes through the hoop without striking the backboard? The height of the basketball hoop is 3.05 m.
ΔH(y) = 1.11 m
d(x) = 19.8 m
θ = 58.7°
a(y) = -9.81 m/s^2

Homework Equations

x(t) = X_0 + V_0x*t
v(y) = V_0y - g*t
v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2a*d

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = V_iy^2 + 2(-9.81)(1.11) → 4.66 m/s
0 = 4.66 + (-9.81)t → 0.475 s
V_0 = 4.66/sin(56.2) → 5.61 m/s
This is not the correct final answer and i am not sure where to even start with this problem
I was recently stumped on this same kind of question. This is a miserable question without knowing about a certain concept. This concept should be in your textbook. It is very surprizing and even interesting.

It is very hard to explain without a diagram, but there should be an explanation in your textbook. It should have something to do with a projectile aimed at something that will fall at the same time that the projectile is fired. The interesting thing is that the two objects will meet at some point under the object that falls. This is the key to understanding your question.

Try to imagine how that concept works for your question.

gummybeargirl said:
I have been working on this problem for 2 hours and no matter what i try i get the same answer and it is the wrong answer. The only thing i think to try to set equal is time (t) and every time i do that i get the initial velocity as 14.4 m/s and that is incorrect.

This is a classic projectile motion problem. If you understand the concept, all the problems are the same. The key thing to understand about these problems is that there is no acceleration in the x direction. If you throw a basket ball with a certain horizontal velocity, there is no force acting on it to change that velocity until it comes into contact with the net. The other key thing to know is that in order for this basketball to hit the net without hitting the backboard, the basketball must reach the net in the x direction at the same time as the y direction. If the ball reached the net at a different time in the x than it did in the y, then it would either go over/under the net the moment it covered the distance in the x, or it would fall short/hit the backboard/pass over the net the moment it was at the right height.

Try solving the problem with these concepts in mind.

Thank you all for your help i was able to use the equation range = (velocity^2*sin2(theta))/g, where g is positive 9.81 to get the correct answer.

1. What is the formula for finding the initial velocity of a projectile basketball?

The formula for finding the initial velocity of a projectile basketball is v0 = vf - at, where v0 is the initial velocity, vf is the final velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the projectile is in the air.

2. How do you measure the initial velocity of a projectile basketball?

The initial velocity of a projectile basketball can be measured using a video analysis software. By recording the trajectory of the basketball and measuring the distance and time, the initial velocity can be calculated using the formula v0 = d/t.

3. Can the initial velocity of a projectile basketball be affected by air resistance?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile basketball can be affected by air resistance. Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It can decrease the initial velocity of the basketball and affect its trajectory.

4. How does the release angle of a projectile basketball affect its initial velocity?

The release angle of a projectile basketball affects its initial velocity by determining the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity. A higher release angle will result in a higher vertical velocity component, while a lower angle will result in a higher horizontal velocity component.

5. Can the initial velocity of a projectile basketball be greater than its final velocity?

No, the initial velocity of a projectile basketball cannot be greater than its final velocity. The initial velocity is the velocity at which the basketball is launched, while the final velocity is the velocity at which the basketball lands. Due to the effects of gravity, the final velocity will always be higher than the initial velocity.