College Physics by OpenStax College

In summary, "College Physics" by OpenStax College is a free online book available through the Connexions project at Rice University. It covers a wide range of concepts and includes plenty of homework problems. However, it lacks symbolic problems and the layout may appear amateurish. Overall, it is a comprehensive resource for a College Physics course and is praised for its explanations and affordability.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly Recommend

• Lightly don't Recommend

• Total voters
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a free online book created through the Connexions project at Rice University and released under the Creative Commons CC-BY license.

Most concepts seem to be reasonably well motivated. E.g., the equation for torque in terms of force isn't presented until after some physical examples.

There are plenty of homework problems, but a seemingly complete lack of problems of a symbolic rather than numerical nature.

The layout is amateurish (probably due to the limitations imposed by the Connexions software, and their decision to release the book in a variety of formats), but there is a large amount of very professional looking line art done in a consistent style.

This looks like a great resource. I've been looking for a supplement for my College Physics course, and this looks perfect. I've been having trouble with the required textbook for my class lacking in explanations in some areas, this looks a lot more comprehensive.

The price isn't bad either. I like things that are free. :)

1. What is College Physics by OpenStax College?

College Physics by OpenStax College is a comprehensive textbook that covers the fundamental principles of physics at the college level. It is a free, open-source textbook that is designed to be accessible and affordable for students.

2. Who is the target audience for College Physics by OpenStax College?

The target audience for College Physics by OpenStax College is college students who are studying physics as part of their degree program. It can also be used by high school students who are preparing for college-level physics courses.

3. How is College Physics by OpenStax College different from other physics textbooks?

College Physics by OpenStax College is different from other physics textbooks in that it is free and open-source, meaning that it can be accessed by anyone at no cost. It is also designed to be interactive and engaging, with online resources and activities to supplement the text.

4. Is College Physics by OpenStax College a reliable source for learning physics?

Yes, College Physics by OpenStax College is a reliable source for learning physics. The content is written by experts in the field and is regularly reviewed and updated to ensure accuracy and relevance. It has also been used by many colleges and universities as a primary textbook for their physics courses.

5. Can I use College Physics by OpenStax College for self-study or as a supplement to my current physics course?

Yes, you can use College Physics by OpenStax College for self-study or as a supplement to your current physics course. The textbook is designed to be user-friendly and can be used as a standalone resource or in conjunction with lectures and other materials. It also includes practice problems and interactive activities to help reinforce learning.