1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Review book for College Physics I and II

1. Aug 10, 2016 #1
    In September I will be a Junior in high school (11th grade). I am already taking Chemistry, and thinking about taking Physics also. I have basic trigonometry knowledge (I will also be taking A2T (Algebra 2, Trig) at the same time as this course. The first half of the year is College Physics I, and the second half is College Physics II. I have some money lying around and I want to get a review book for both of the courses, and help would be highly appreciated. Thanks! .
    Alex.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2016 #2
    Bump.

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3
    Without knowing what your Physics I and II entails it is hard to answer. You can start with the books that would be used for your course.

I am not really sure sure how one learns physics without learning calculus first. It may make sense to learn basic calculus first from a book such as
    Quick Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide by Kleppner
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471827223

or sort of learn both calculus and mechanics together from Savov
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005

You do need a solid background in Algebra and Trigonometry as well. In my opinion, you would do much better if you try to learn the basic required math before tackling physics.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Aug 12, 2016 #4
    College Physics I: da4698fc922067b572e58e25c0135195.png

College Physics II: 982876a987565b04521d6a480591be97.png

6. Aug 12, 2016 #5
    Also to be noted, the course is strictly Algebra based. There is little-to-basically none Calculus.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. Aug 12, 2016 #6
    Sorry, hopefully others can help you. I never read an algebra based physics textbook so cannot really recommend one.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  8. Aug 12, 2016 #7
    All good! Thanks for taking your time to reply. Have a good rest of your day.

9. Aug 13, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That might be true, but it would still be useful to know calculus. In algebra based physics they just throw the formula at you. When you know calculus, you can see why the formula actually makes sense. So while calculus is not necessary, it will still enhance your understanding and you'll have to memorize less.

10. Aug 13, 2016 #9
    Could not have said it better myself.

11. Aug 13, 2016 #10
    Thank you :) I really appreciate it. I don't know what to do then. I'll be taking A2T this year, and calculus next school year (taking pre-calc over the summer). Thanks again for you feedback, I'll keep it in mind. Have a good day :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted