Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer

In summary, "Essential Results of Functional Analysis" by Robert Zimmer is a highly authoritative and advanced book on the subject, recommended for readers who are already familiar with easier works on the topic. The author himself, known for his exceptional mathematical abilities, is the current president of the University of Chicago. The book is concise and focuses on key results, but may require a deeper understanding of the subject.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly Recommend

• Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know this book. I.e. I own it but have not read it. But I know the author Robert Zimmer. He was the brightest student in a good topology class I graded for at Brandeis, taught by Mike Spivak in the late 1960's. He was so strong I used to cheat and use his homework as a template for grading the problems I myself could not do. Mike called attention to how good he was and I responded that some other students were not bad either. Mike said, "I didn't say bad, I said good." Zimmer became president of The University of Chicago in 2006.

http://president.uchicago.edu/page/about-president-zimmer

A brief glance at this book made it seem a bit advanced and terse. I think it is safe to assume this is an authoritative work, but I cannot say how easy it is to read until I examine it more closely. I would suggest possibly preparing by reading an easier book first, maybe one by Berberian. I am inclined to vote it up highly, but cannot honestly do so without reading more of it, more leisurely.by the way, if you wonder what number micromass likes so much, try counting the parentheses on the right end.

Last edited:
It would be funny to see this book next to one like dunford/schwartz. the good thing about it is its focus on the key results (& the price is right too iirc). it is definitely terse though, & has pretty steep requirements. just in the first few pages it's already got the stone-weierstrass & open-mapping theorems.

What is "Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer"?

"Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer" is a book written by Professor Klaus D. Zimmer that provides a comprehensive overview of the essential concepts and results in functional analysis, a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces and their transformations.

Who is the author of "Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer"?

The author of "Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer" is Professor Klaus D. Zimmer, a renowned mathematician and professor at the University of Bielefeld in Germany.

What topics are covered in "Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer"?

"Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer" covers topics such as normed and Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, linear operators, spectral theory, and applications of functional analysis in other areas of mathematics and science.

Is "Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer" suitable for beginners in functional analysis?

While "Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer" is a comprehensive and rigorous book, it is written in a clear and accessible style that makes it suitable for both beginners and advanced students in functional analysis.

Can "Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer" be used as a textbook?

Yes, "Essential Results of Functional Analysis by Zimmer" can be used as a textbook for a course on functional analysis. It includes numerous examples, exercises, and solutions, making it a valuable resource for students and instructors alike.