(free kindle) Gauge Theories in Particle Physics by Aitchison & Hey

In summary: We had Peskin and Schroeder...But I bought Srednicki and Zee, and was recommended by another professor to look up B&L and Ramond!After that, I tried to tackle Weinberg... have still not come far in those books :)Zee makes you feel you grasp the material rather quickly, but it is, in my opinion, the first-time textbook. I own Srednicki, but I've never tried it, and there are so many recommendations about that book. I'm reading Peskin and Schroeder and the impression is it is very strong in allowing the reader to jump into the research literature immediately.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Love
Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and Demystifier
That was (and is) also one of my favorites too when learning QFT in the path-integral formalism.

Likes malawi_glenn
Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
dextercioby said:
The QFT course at my university was (probably after 20 yrs still is) based on B&L.
We had Peskin and Schroeder...
But I bought Srednicki and Zee, and was recommended by another professor to look up B&L and Ramond!
After that, I tried to tackle Weinberg... have still not come far in those books :)

Likes vanhees71
Zee makes you feel you grasp the material rather quickly, but it is, in my opinion, the first-time textbook. I own Srednicki, but I've never tried it, and there are so many recommendations about that book. I'm reading Peskin and Schroeder and the impression is it is very strong in allowing the reader to jump into the research literature immediately.

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn

1. What is the main focus of "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics" by Aitchison & Hey?

The main focus of this book is to provide a comprehensive introduction to gauge theories in particle physics, which are mathematical frameworks used to describe the interactions between elementary particles.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in particle physics?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of quantum field theory and builds up to more advanced topics in gauge theories. However, some prior knowledge of quantum mechanics and special relativity is recommended.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for understanding this book?

Some prior knowledge of quantum mechanics and special relativity is recommended, as well as familiarity with basic mathematical concepts such as calculus and linear algebra.

4. Does this book cover all types of gauge theories?

No, this book focuses on the most commonly used gauge theories in particle physics, such as quantum electrodynamics (QED), quantum chromodynamics (QCD), and the electroweak theory. It also briefly touches on more advanced topics such as grand unified theories (GUTs) and supersymmetry.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better used as a textbook?

This book can be used for both self-study and as a textbook. It includes exercises and problems at the end of each chapter, making it a useful resource for students and researchers in the field of particle physics.