Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mentor
In summary, Doc Al is a hero and a fantastic teacher. He has a lot of experience in martial arts and has studied combative techniques for decades. He recommends that students use open hand strikes instead of fist breaks, and he has no problems with Premier Martial Arts.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Interview with a Physicist: Doc Al

docal-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Careful, pick on Doc Al and he'll give you the ol' judo chop!

Doc Al is my hero. :!)

Likes gracy
I absolutely adore Doc Al!

My “epiphany” came much later, in about 8th grade or so. Some kind math teacher ... gave me Isaac Asimov’s book “The Realm of Algebra”.

That's about the same age of my "epiphany" but a different book.

$%28KGrHqF,!lUE-5KtEGGLBQ!z0wpBuw~~60_35.JPG
I’ve trained in various martials arts, some traditional and some not, including Tae Kwon Do, various styles of jiu-jitsu, grappling, kick boxing, stick fighting, and self-defense. But the “art” that I have devoted myself to for the last many decades is derived from WWII-era military combatives. I’ve been privileged to have trained with some of the best close combat masters in the world, and I have several black belts and teaching certificates. The folks I train with now are incredibly talented and I am honored to be associated with them. My current challenge is combining the subtle body mechanics of the “internal” martial arts with the more “external” combative skills.

I don't have any martial arts belts but consider myself as part of the Taekwon-Do family as I've supported my daughters efforts for 14 years now. She to has trained with many masters and grandmasters. She recently submitted her thesis, "A Guide For Teaching Taekwon-do to Children", in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the ITF 4th Dan Black Belt. I'll be attending her testing in North Carolina on the 29th. You have an amazing story. I wish she could meet you.

A few of questions:

Do you do any fist breaks? Any broken bones? Any pics of those hands (or any other pics) you would care to share?

What are your opinions of Premier Martial Arts?

Doc Al said:
I especially like tricking students into figuring things out for themselves.

Sigh, you have stolen my line!

But I think all Mentors would concur.

Evo said:
Doc Al is my hero. :!)
Oh baby! :!)

micromass said:
I absolutely adore Doc Al!
I can feel the love!

dlgoff said:
I don't have any martial arts belts but consider myself as part of the Taekwon-Do family as I've supported my daughters efforts for 14 years now. She to has trained with many masters and grandmasters. She recently submitted her thesis, "A Guide For Teaching Taekwon-do to Children", in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the ITF 4th Dan Black Belt. I'll be attending her testing in North Carolina on the 29th.
That is outstanding! All the best to her. (I like that a thesis is required for advancement; a friend of mine requires that of all his advanced black belts.) Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Just to be clear, I haven't practiced TKD or any "classical" martial art for decades. (But I still have friends in the art and I still respect it.)

A few of questions:

Do you do any fist breaks?
I don't do any breaking these days. But yes, I used to do fist breaks. I do not recommend it. In my opinion the fist in general (at least the front of the fist) is overrated, especially against a bony target such as the head. Open hand strikes can be more effective, require less pinpoint timing, and are much more forgiving. You want your hands, fingers, and wrists to be strong, but excessive "conditioning" is not a good idea. Even pro boxers mess up their hands in a real fight.

In grad school I taught a "general science" class (which I, of course, turned into a physics class, since that's all I really know). One of the demos I would do was a "speed break", where I would hold 2 or 3 boards in one hand and chop through them with the other hand. Lots of fun. Probably couldn't do it now.
Any broken bones?
Not at the moment, thankfully. But yes, I've broken a few. Almost always from doing something stupid, back in the day. These days I'm more concerned with my joints falling apart.
Any pics of those hands (or any other pics) you would care to share?
If I showed you, I'd have to kill you. :cool:

What are your opinions of Premier Martial Arts?
I don't like to give opinions about schools that I don't have first hand knowledge of.

Wow. Thanks for the reply. Hope it's okay to carry on a little while the community is still trying to meet you. I'll stop with this.

Doc Al said:
That is outstanding! All the best to her. (I like that a thesis is required for advancement; a friend of mine requires that of all his advanced black belts.) Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Will do.

Just to be clear, I haven't practiced TKD or any "classical" martial art for decades. (But I still have friends in the art and I still respect it.)
I knew that. There were a couple years that my daughter trained with ATA when her traditional ITF/WTF style dojo decided to switch to MMA stuff (hence my question about Premier). There was always this elderly married couple at the black belt classes. Once a black-belt, always a black-belt.
I don't do any breaking these days. But yes, I used to do fist breaks. I do not recommend it. In my opinion the fist in general (at least the front of the fist) is overrated, especially against a bony target such as the head. Open hand strikes can be more effective, require less pinpoint timing, and are much more forgiving. You want your hands, fingers, and wrists to be strong, but excessive "conditioning" is not a good idea. Even pro boxers mess up their hands in a real fight.
Most of the dojos that my daughter has trained in didn't require fist breaks. Besides, in children (especially young girls) hand bones injuries can cause permanent problems. So I would never let her even attempt.
In grad school I taught a "general science" class (which I, of course, turned into a physics class, since that's all I really know). One of the demos I would do was a "speed break", where I would hold 2 or 3 boards in one hand and chop through them with the other hand. Lots of fun. Probably couldn't do it now.
Speed breaks are the most entertaining to watch. A very difficult feat that lots of black belts can't do.
If I showed you, I'd have to kill you. :cool:
And with one punch I'm sure. :wink:

Physics + Martial Arts ----------> Doc Al :approve:

dlgoff said:
There were a couple years that my daughter trained with ATA when her traditional ITF/WTF style dojo decided to switch to MMA stuff (hence my question about Premier).
MMA is the flavor of the month, or decade. Too sportive for my tastes. Although I did attend the very first Ultimate Fighting Championship in Denver. (More fights in the stands than the octagon!)
Most of the dojos that my daughter has trained in didn't require fist breaks. Besides, in children (especially young girls) hand bones injuries can cause permanent problems. So I would never let her even attempt.
Very wise!

Did you get to meet Courant at NYU? That would have been so cool.

I'm impressed you're still at a not-to-be-named large telecom lab. No small feat, these days.

Nice to learn more about you Doc Al.

Reminder: Don't get on Doc's bad side! He knows martial arts..

I remember the first day of physics 101, where the very professorial professor (think of John Houseman in The Paper Chase) asked for a show of hands of everyone who had taken physics in high school. Every hand shot up of course. He looked around the room, nodded, puffed on his pipe, and then said "Welcome to your first course in physics." He was right.
I'd recognize Milton Stecher anywhere.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I'd recognize Milton Stecher anywhere.

Absolutely! :)

We'll have to swap Stecher stories one of these days.

1. What is the purpose of "Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights"?

The purpose of "Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights" is to provide insights and advice from Doc Al, a successful mentor and scientist, on various topics related to personal finance and career development.

2. Who is Doc Al and why is he qualified to give mentorship and insights?

Doc Al is a pseudonym for a real-life scientist with over 20 years of experience in the field. He has also successfully managed his personal finances and has mentored numerous individuals, including fellow scientists, on career development and financial management.

3. What kind of topics does "Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights" cover?

"Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights" covers a wide range of topics, including personal finance, career development, networking, time management, and work-life balance. These topics are discussed from the perspective of a scientist, making the insights and advice relevant to those in the scientific community.

4. How often are new insights and advice added to "Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights"?

New insights and advice from Doc Al are added to "Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights" on a regular basis, typically once or twice a week. However, the frequency may vary depending on Doc Al's availability and the availability of relevant topics to discuss.

5. Can readers submit questions for Doc Al to answer in "Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights"?

Yes, readers are encouraged to submit questions for Doc Al to answer in "Meet a Mentor: Doc Al | PF Insights". These questions can be related to personal finance, career development, or any other topic that would benefit the readers. Doc Al will do his best to address as many questions as possible in future posts.