Is There an Easier Way to Navigate Between Forums on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Q_Goest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests implementing a drop down menu for easier navigation between forums and sub-forums on Physics Forums. The original idea was to have a drop down menu under the "Physics Forums" button, but it was decided to add it to the "Forums" button in the navbar instead. Some members have expressed confusion or dislike for the new feature, but it is still being tested and adjusted.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
When you're on a thread or forum and want to go to another forum, do you have to go back up to the main page and back down again? For example, say I'm on a thread in the current events forum. There's a series of links across the top that says:
Physics Forums > PF Lounge > General Discussion

So if I want to go to one of the engineering forums for example, I have to hit "Physics Forums", scroll down the page, then click on the forum I want to go into.

Instead, it would be nice to click on the button "Physics Forums" where for example, a drop down menu allowed you to select any of the sub-forums instead of having to load the Physics Forum page before dropping down. That would include a way to go into all the sub-forums too such as the Automotive Engineering forum with just one click. Basically, create a way to have a single click to enter any of the forums or sub-forums from any page. Or is that already a feature I've never noticed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've made a folder on my bookmarks bar that has the structure you're talking about. Within this folder, I have subfolders that contain links to each subtopic and other folders for sections that have even more subtopics (i.e. General Discussion).

For example:

PF (name of link on bookmarks toolbar) -> mouseover GD folder -> link to GD and other folders for Current Events, Relationships, etc.

Q_Goest said:
Instead, it would be nice to click on the button "Physics Forums" where for example, a drop down menu allowed you to select any of the sub-forums instead of having to load the Physics Forum page before dropping down. That would include a way to go into all the sub-forums too such as the Automotive Engineering forum with just one click. Basically, create a way to have a single click to enter any of the forums or sub-forums from any page. Or is that already a feature I've never noticed?

It's a good idea. Give me some time to consider it. thanks!

Another forum that I visit regularly has a dropdown menu of all forums at the top of the page. It's like the menu that PF mentors see for "Destination Forum" when they move a thread. I don't remember if there's a similar menu elsewhere that's visible to all members.

jtbell said:
Another forum that I visit regularly has a dropdown menu of all forums at the top of the page. It's like the menu that PF mentors see for "Destination Forum" when they move a thread. I don't remember if there's a similar menu elsewhere that's visible to all members.

A long time ago we had the "Forum Jump" drop down menu, but it was a very ugly and inelegant solution.

I've now added a forum jump drop down menu to the "Physics Forums" part of the breadcrumb.

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
I've now added a forum jump drop down menu to the "Physics Forums" part of the breadcrumb.
Love it Greg, thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:

Nice one!

Could you add the "middle click button" thingie? I mean, I like to open stuff in new tabs, and I do it by clicking on the mid button from my mouse. It doesn't work with the dropdown menu tho.

x2791258 said:
Could you add the "middle click button" thingie? I mean, I like to open stuff in new tabs, and I do it by clicking on the mid button from my mouse. It doesn't work with the dropdown menu tho.

There is no standard middle click functionality to add. You could right click and select "open in new tab".

Greg Bernhardt said:

Hate it, sorry. It breaks the intended UI purpose of a breadcrumb. When I click on 'Physics Forums', I expect to be taken to the main page. Immediately, in one click.

Why not put some kind of icon before the breadcrumb (i.e. to the left of it) that brings up this drop-down, and leave the breadcrumb to do its intended thing? Make an icon about as long horizontally as the word "physics", and it will be an easy click target for people who like the drop-down functionality.

Ben Niehoff said:
Hate it, sorry. It breaks the intended UI purpose of a breadcrumb. When I click on 'Physics Forums', I expect to be taken to the main page. Immediately, in one click.

Why not put some kind of icon before the breadcrumb (i.e. to the left of it) that brings up this drop-down, and leave the breadcrumb to do its intended thing? Make an icon about as long horizontally as the word "physics", and it will be an easy click target for people who like the drop-down functionality.

Click the "Physics Forums" title at the top of the page written in white letters.

Ben Niehoff said:

Alternatively we could add the drop down to "Forums" in the navbar.

edit: i appears others are feeling confused too. I'll add it to the Forum link in the navbar.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Alternatively we could add the drop down to "Forums" in the navbar.

edit: i appears others are feeling confused too. I'll add it to the Forum link in the navbar.

Awesome, thanks! I think the Forums button makes more sense.

Where did it go? Now I can't find the drop down. It was working fine before. If you wanted the main forum page, you clicked "forums", if you wanted the drop down, you clicked the link below.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Should be ready in 10min, in the meantime some funky things may happen

/puts on helmet

Greg Bernhardt said:
Should be ready in 10min, in the meantime some funky things may happen
Yes, very funky, things are moving and flashing.

x2791258 said:

Middle-clicks worked for me- both the Physics Forums crumb and the links on the menu.

Firefox 21.0

x2791258 said:

Cntrl + left-click (on Windows)
Command + left-click (on Mac)

This will open the link you clicked on in a new tab if you can't get your middle-click method to work.

ok fixed, now "Forums" navbar element triggers the drop down. Breadcrumb purists may now rejoice :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
ok fixed, now "Forums" navbar element triggers the drop down. Breadcrumb purists may now rejoice :D
Once again, great job, quick response.

Thanks Greg, works great.

Jimmy said:
Middle-clicks worked for me- both the Physics Forums crumb and the links on the menu.

Firefox 21.0

Baah.. it doesnt' work for me ://

I'm using chromium 25.0

Thanks Greg. That's a nice improvement!

Sweeet :)

I used to click on "Forums" to get back to the PF forum and then select what subforum to enter sometimes according to the title of the last thread posted in the subforum. Now I can't do that but don't worry I'm going to get used to this within a day or two. :)
I guess this new system is much better after all. Well done.

fluidistic said:
I used to click on "Forums" to get back to the PF forum and then select what subforum to enter sometimes according to the title of the last thread posted in the subforum. Now I can't do that but don't worry I'm going to get used to this within a day or two. :)

There is a link above and below "Forums" that will bring you back to the homepage :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
There is a link above and below "Forums" that will bring you back to the homepage :)
Sorry I didn't see it. :) Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of the navigation system on Physics Forums?

The navigation system on Physics Forums is designed to make it easier for users to move between different forums and topics within the website. This allows users to quickly access the information they are looking for and participate in discussions on various physics-related topics.

2. How can I navigate between forums on Physics Forums?

To navigate between forums on Physics Forums, you can use the drop-down menu at the top of the page or click on the "Forums" tab in the main menu. You can also use the search bar to find specific forums or topics.

3. Is there a way to customize the navigation system on Physics Forums?

Yes, you can customize the navigation system on Physics Forums by clicking on the "Settings" tab in the main menu. From there, you can choose which forums and topics you want to see in your navigation menu.

4. Can I access the navigation system on Physics Forums from my mobile device?

Yes, the navigation system on Physics Forums is accessible from both desktop and mobile devices. However, the layout and functionality may vary slightly between the two versions.

5. Are there any keyboard shortcuts for navigating between forums on Physics Forums?

Yes, there are several keyboard shortcuts that can be used to navigate between forums on Physics Forums. These include using the arrow keys to move between forums and pressing "Enter" to select a forum. You can find a full list of keyboard shortcuts in the site's Help section.