Understanding Positive Orientation of Point C: A Guide

In summary: Find the volume of a right triangle whose hypotenuse is segment AC and whose other two sides are segments BD and DE. (Result 0)4.Find the volume of a right triangle whose hypotenuse is segment AB and whose other two sides are segments CD and DE.(Result 3*pi*a*(a+h))
etf
Here is my task and my attempt of solution:

line.jpg

How to use fact that C is positively orientated viewed from point (10,0,0)? I'm not sure I understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be much more convenient for us if you would type your question and work on this site instead of posting un-editable images and which require us to open another window.

etf said:
How to use fact that C is positively orientated viewed from point (10,0,0)? I'm not sure I understand it.

Me neither. Perhaps it meant (0,0,10). I would just work it going either direction for ##\theta## and see what happens.

etf said:
Here is my task and my attempt of solution:

View attachment 65981

Here is the image:
attachment.php?attachmentid=65981&d=1390608864.jpg

Is C supposed to be a closed path ?

SammyS said:
Is C supposed to be a closed path ?

It's closed alright. Here's a picture of it:

curve.jpg

LCKurtz said:
It's closed alright. Here's a picture of it:
Yes the intersection makes a complete loop, but if the instruction is correct regarding the view from (10, 0, 0), then only part of that path is oriented in a positive direction.

That's why I asked (the OP) if the path is supposed to be closed. If so then the point (10, 0, 0) is incorrect as you have suggested.

It would be much more convenient for us if you would type your question and work on this site instead of posting un-editable images and which require us to open another window.
I didn't learn latex yet so that's reason why I'm posting images. I could write my equations here but I thought it would be much easier for you to follow if I "draw" it using MathType software.

It's (10,0,0) point, I didn't make mistake... I'm still uncertain about solving this problem...
I forgot to write, result is pi.

Last edited:
etf said:
I didn't learn latex yet so that's reason why I'm posting images. I could write my equations here but I thought it would be much easier for you to follow if I "draw" it using MathType software.

It isn't.

It's (10,0,0) point, I didn't make mistake... I'm still uncertain about solving this problem...
I forgot to write, result is pi.

I think you had best ask your Teacher to clarify. It makes sense to talk about clockwise or counterclockwise orientation if you look down at it along the ##z## axis, but not from out the ##x## axis. And I don't see any interpretation of the problem that gives ##\pi## for the answer. Are you sure you copied the integral itself correctly?

I copied it correctly. I will ask teacher for help.
Thanks anyway!

etf said:
I copied it correctly. I will ask teacher for help.
Thanks anyway!

I would be interested to know what your teacher tells you.

I will inform you as soon as he explain me.

Here are few examples with similar statement:

1.Find [tex]\int\limits_C{} {{y^2}dx + xdy + zdz}[/tex] where C is curve formed by intersection of [tex]{x^2} + {y^2} = x + y[/tex] and [tex]2({x^2} + {y^2}) = z[/tex] orientated positively viewed from point (0,0,2R). (Result 0)

2.Find [tex]\int\limits_C {(y - z)dx + (z - x)dy + (x - y)} dz\\[/tex] where C is curve formed by intersection of [tex]{x^2} + {y^2} = {a^2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x}{a} + \frac{z}{h} = 1[/tex] (a greather than 0, h greather than 0), passed in positive direction viewed from point (2a,0,0). (Result -2*pi*a*(a+h))

Last edited:

1. What is the positive orientation of a point?

The positive orientation of a point refers to the direction in which it is facing or moving. In mathematics and physics, it is often represented by a vector with a specific magnitude and direction.

2. How is the positive orientation of a point determined?

The positive orientation of a point is determined by its location in relation to a given reference point or axis. For example, in a Cartesian coordinate system, a point with positive coordinates would have a positive orientation.

3. Why is understanding positive orientation important?

Understanding positive orientation is important in many areas of science and mathematics, including geometry, physics, and engineering. It allows us to accurately describe and analyze the movement and direction of objects in space.

4. How can I use "Understanding Positive Orientation of Point C: A Guide" in my research?

This guide provides a comprehensive explanation of the concept of positive orientation and includes practical examples and applications. It can be used as a reference for understanding and applying positive orientation in various scientific and mathematical studies.

5. Is positive orientation only applicable to points?

No, positive orientation can also be applied to other geometric shapes, such as lines, planes, and curves. In general, it refers to the direction in which an object is facing or moving, regardless of its shape or form.