1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verifying Stokes' theorem (orientation?)

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F= <y,z,x>
    S is the hemisphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1, y ≥ 0, oriented in the direction of the positive y-axis.
    Verify Stokes' theorem.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I completed the surface integral part. I'm trying to do the line integral part of Stokes' theorem and end up with the same answer.
    Where I get confused is there parametrization part.

I said that r(t) = <cos t, 0, sin t>, 0≤t≤2∏.
    Apparently that's the wrong orientation. But when I "grab" the y-axis with my thumb in the positive y-direction and curl my fingers they go from the z axis to the x-axis counter clockwise. Isn't that the CORRECT orientation?
    I guess what I'm asking is how do I determine the orientation when I'm using Stokes' theorem. I assume I want the same counter clockwise orientation that I do for Green's theorem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your parameterization goes in the opposite direction. As t goes from 0 to pi/2, r(t) goes from <1, 0, 0> to <0, 0, 1> — in other words, from the x-axis to the z-axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted