Which is more important for understanding physics: math or physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a dilemma in choosing between a physics book and a math book for learning physics. The expert advises to focus on the physics book as understanding physical intuition is more important than pure mathematics. They also mention that it is possible to become specialized in physics without reading pure math books.
Phycisists
Hello everyone,

I'm very tempted to learn more about physics but the problem occurs when I'm about to choose from two books, one regarding physics and the other maths only. What exactly should I do in order to become good at physics?

Should I go through the maths book (which I think is harder than physics) or the physics book which also includes maths but it contains mostly physical formulas describing the universe?

What would you do in this kind of situation?

Help is very appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The math is actually the easier part of the story. It's the physical intuition that is hard to get and which is very important. It's sometimes very easy to solve a problem mathematically, but interpreting the result or setting up the problem is usually much harder.

If you want to do physics, then you should absolutely go through the physics books. Reading pure mathematics books is usually not directly relevant to the physics. Only read them if you get annoyed at how the physics books butcher the math and if you want to see how the math should actually be done. But if you're happy (for example) to accept that a delta function exists and has this properties, then there is no need for math books. It is perfectly possible to get to a very specialized level in physics without reading a pure math book.

Please take all comments on "physics books butcher the math" to this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4799641

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the help.

I will just stick with the physics book instead as I'm actually finding it to be more satisfying.

1. What is the main difference between physics and mathematics books?

The main difference between physics and mathematics books is the subject matter they cover. Physics books focus on understanding the natural world and the laws that govern it, while mathematics books focus on abstract concepts and the logical relationships between them.

2. Can someone with a strong background in mathematics understand physics concepts?

Yes, someone with a strong background in mathematics can understand physics concepts. In fact, mathematics is an essential tool for understanding and describing the laws of physics.

3. Are there any physics books that do not require a strong understanding of mathematics?

Yes, there are introductory physics books that do not require a strong understanding of mathematics. These books may use basic mathematical concepts to explain physical principles, but they do not rely heavily on advanced mathematical equations.

4. How do physics and mathematics books complement each other?

Physics and mathematics books complement each other by providing different perspectives on the same concepts. While physics books focus on the real-world applications of mathematics, mathematics books provide a deeper understanding of the abstract principles used in physics.

5. Which subject should I study first, physics or mathematics?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as both subjects are interrelated and can be studied simultaneously. Some people prefer to have a strong foundation in mathematics before delving into physics, while others find that studying physics helps them better understand and apply mathematical concepts.