Does Quantum tunneling prove speeds greater than light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of faster-than-light travel and its implications, particularly in relation to special relativity and quantum mechanics. It also touches on different experiments and claims related to superluminal motion, with an emphasis on the importance of verifying these claims through experimentation. There is also a mention of the need for caution when interpreting scientific information and an inquiry as to why this topic is being discussed in a forum for stellar astrophysics.
No-where-man
Quantum tunneling and other experiments(for experimental experts)...

Please read on this website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light

So,what does it mean-does it mean we can start to hope for traveling faster than light?
I also found,what some others wrote about this,from other websites:
Posted by Cangas:"We must remember this: Special Relativity was based on a postulate ( just another word for "unproven theory" ) that lightspeed is the same for all observers, which strongly implies that lightspeed is the maximum speed possible. SR does not PROVE c is maximal. It ASSUMES it.

In actual practice, particle accelerators have driven matter to speeds barely under c, and it does seem to be impossible to reach or exceed c. I have read that electrons have reached 10 mph less than c.

On the other hand, particles have been observed to execute quantum tunneling exceeding c. Entangled particles have been observed to reportedly interact exceeding c. Atomic electrons are said to instantaneously jump orbits when emitting or absorbing a photon. Although the subject is highly controversial, a contingent claims that gravity ( not gravitational waves ) must propagate at much over c.

When devising his famous set of equations, Maxwell started with standard wave mathematics and discovered that electromagetic disturbance should move through space at a speed exactly depending upon the electric permitivity and magnetic permeability of vacuum. A puzzling question is why anything else, charged particles, neutral matter, gravity, so on, would be obedient to the electromagnetic quality of space?"

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also,I found on other websites,that are APPARENTLY found superluminal motions of quasars,blazars and radio-galaxies:
http://en.freepedia.org/FTL.html

Last edited by a moderator:
No-where-man said:
Please read on this website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light
So,what does it mean-does it mean we can start to hope for traveling faster than light?
I also found,what some others wrote about this,from other websites:
Posted by Cangas:"We must remember this: Special Relativity was based on a postulate ( just another word for "unproven theory" ) that lightspeed is the same for all observers, which strongly implies that lightspeed is the maximum speed possible. SR does not PROVE c is maximal. It ASSUMES it.

A "postulate" means something you assume in the beginning and then figure out all the consequences logically (mathematically). So far (i) all experiment have verified SR's postulates and (ii) all consequences have been verified. It isn't just an unverfied assumption.

Remember, this is physics, not mathematics. A number of principle that we use are NEVER derived via first principles, but rather a "law" that came from observation. So why pick only SR? Did someone derived the conservation of momentum?
On the other hand, particles have been observed to execute quantum tunneling exceeding c.

Be VERY careful at citing such things that have not been clearly verified. I will quote something that I've posted before:

ZapperZ said:
The generally similar argument is given to the recent claim of a possible "superluminal barrier tunneling" as observed in several experiments, a claim made recently by H. Winful.[1] In this week's
Nature, M. Buttiker and S. Washburn wrote a News and Views article discussing this claim.[2] They presented what I thought to be an excellent explanation on why such claims of superluminal motion is highly misleading (people working on "quantum teleportation" should take heed). They explore what we actually mean by a pulse of light, when we actually define where the location of a pulse is, and what happens during a tunneling process that severely attenuates this pulse.

[1] H. Winful, PRL v.90, p.023901 (2003).
[2] M. Buttiker and S. Washburn, Nature v.422, p.271 (2003).
Entangled particles have been observed to reportedly interact exceeding c. Atomic electrons are said to instantaneously jump orbits when emitting or absorbing a photon.

Yet, in none of these have physicists claim that c has been violated. Why is that? Could it be you understood them wrong? Atomic orbital transition does NOT imply a change in the CLASSICAL orbits. I would hope that picture is no longer taken seriously in a more advanced forum such as this. And NO ONE working in the Bell-type experiments have ever claimed superluminal transfer of info.

Zz.

P.S. Why is a question on basic SR/QM like this posted in a "Stellar Astrophysics" forum?

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
A "postulate" means something you assume in the beginning and then figure out all the consequences logically (mathematically). So far (i) all experiment have verified SR's postulates and (ii) all consequences have been verified. It isn't just an unverfied assumption.

Remember, this is physics, not mathematics. A number of principle that we use are NEVER derived via first principles, but rather a "law" that came from observation. So why pick only SR? Did someone derived the conservation of momentum?

Be VERY careful at citing such things that have not been clearly verified. I will quote something that I've posted before:

Yet, in none of these have physicists claim that c has been violated. Why is that? Could it be you understood them wrong? Atomic orbital transition does NOT imply a change in the CLASSICAL orbits. I would hope that picture is no longer taken seriously in a more advanced forum such as this. And NO ONE working in the Bell-type experiments have ever claimed superluminal transfer of info.

Zz.

P.S. Why is a question on basic SR/QM like this posted in a "Stellar Astrophysics" forum?

Jeez,thanks a lot!

1. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle has a non-zero probability of passing through a potential barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier in classical physics.

2. How does quantum tunneling relate to speeds greater than light?

Quantum tunneling does not necessarily prove speeds greater than light. While it does demonstrate that particles can "tunnel" through barriers, it does not violate the speed of light as the particles are not actually traveling faster than light.

3. Can quantum tunneling be used for faster-than-light travel?

No, quantum tunneling cannot be used for faster-than-light travel. While it may seem like particles are moving faster than light when they tunnel through barriers, they are not actually traveling faster than light and cannot be used for transportation.

4. Is quantum tunneling a form of teleportation?

No, quantum tunneling is not a form of teleportation. Teleportation involves the transfer of information or matter from one location to another, whereas quantum tunneling involves the passing of particles through a barrier.

5. Are there any other implications of quantum tunneling?

Yes, quantum tunneling has many important implications in various fields, including nuclear physics, quantum computing, and nanotechnology. It also plays a crucial role in explaining the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.