Mice can 'foretell earthquakes'[?]: BBC

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
Japanese researchers have observed mice behaving strangely after being exposed to electric and magnetic fields similar to those sometimes detected before earthquakes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3030780.stm

Note: Though implied as a geology related story, this seemed best posted in biology.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Seems interesting. It is widely acknowledged that birds, and to an extent even humans can sense magnetic fields. Wonder if this sense evolved in some other creatures as well...
 
I feed a stray cat and a few weeks
ago it started acting hostile tow-
ard me, hissing and cowering when
I filled it's dish.

I was telling this to a woman at
a cafe and said I wondered if it
was being zapped with pre-quake
signals.

The guy at the next table spoke
up and told the story of how his
dogs had gone bannanas on him
one day, running around and
barking, when an earthquake struck
a few minutes later.

There's been no quake here, and
the cat is still hissing at me.
Is it my breath?
 
dun other animals like dogs and snakes get cagey as well when a earthquake is imminent?