(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3

• Thread starter sambarbarian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Tan
In summary, the given equation cannot be proven to be an identity, but it can be solved for specific values of theta to satisfy the equation.
sambarbarian
(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3 = sin^2cos^2

prove this . ( assume theta is front of all functions ) , i don't know where to start :/

Physics news on Phys.org

I spent quite a long time working on that and then realized I had miscopied it!
And I wonder if you haven't miscopied it! Because what you have written cannot be proven- it is not true. If you take [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex] radians or 45 degrees, then [itex]sin(\theta)= cos(\theta)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex] so that [itex]sin(\theta)- cos(\theta)= 0[/itex] and the numerator on the left is 0. We need to check that [itex]sin^3(\theta)- cosec^3(\theta)= 2^{3/2}/8- 8/2^{3/2}[/itex] is not 0. Since it is not the left side is 0. But the right side is [itex]sin^2(\theta)cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}= \frac{1}{4}[/itex], NOT 0.

Perhaps you miscopied? While I didn't finish, if the denominator were [itex]sin^3- cos^3[/itex] rather than [itex]sin^3- cosec^3[/itex], my counter-example would not work.

Last edited by a moderator:

no , i rechecked the question , it is correct and can be solved according to the publisher ( i called customer care )

sambarbarian said:
no , i rechecked the question , it is correct and can be solved according to the publisher ( i called customer care )

What HallsofIvy is saying is that it can't be proven because it is not true. Whether some so-called customer care said so or not, it doesn't change the fact that mathematically they're not equivalent.

Just a couple of questions, is this what the problem says?

Prove that
[tex]\frac{(1+\cot \theta+\tan \theta)(\sin\theta - \cos\theta)}{\sin^3\theta-\csc^3\theta}=\sin^2\theta\cos^2\theta[/tex]

If it is, then it can't be proven because there exist values of [itex]\theta[/itex] such that the left-hand side does not equal to the right-hand side.

However, if the problem asked to solve rather than to prove, then we have a different question entirely. When the problem asks to solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] what it's essentially asking is to find all the value(s) of [itex]\theta[/itex] such that the left-hand side does equal the right-hand side. For example, [itex]\theta=0[/itex] satisfies the equality.

yes , that is correct , but if it can't be solved , I am sorry, thank you for your time .

sambarbarian said:
but if it can't be solved

It can be solved, but not proven to be an identity :wink:

You can solve [itex]x^2-2x+1=0[/itex] but you cannot prove that [itex]x^2-2x+1=0[/itex] because that implies that for every value of x, [itex]x^2-2x+1=0[/itex] which is untrue.

You can prove that [itex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1[/itex] which means if you solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] you'll find that [itex]\theta[/itex] can be any value to satisfy the condition that [itex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1[/itex]

"Prove this" means "prove that this equation is correct for all x". That is not possible because it is not true as I said above. "Solve this equation" means find those particular values of x for which the equation is true. Is that what your problem asks you to do?

1. What is the meaning of "(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3"?

The expression "(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3" is a mathematical equation that represents a complex trigonometric function. It involves the use of cotangent, tangent, sine, cosine, and cosecant functions in a specific order of operations.

2. How do you simplify "(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3"?

To simplify this expression, you can use the trigonometric identities to rewrite the functions in terms of sine and cosine, and then use the distributive property to expand the expression. Finally, you can use the Pythagorean identities to simplify and combine like terms.

3. What are the possible solutions for "(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3"?

This equation does not have a specific solution, as it represents a general expression. The solution will depend on the values of the variables involved in the equation.

4. What is the purpose of using trigonometric functions in "(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3"?

The use of trigonometric functions in this equation allows for the representation of complex mathematical relationships involving angles and sides of a triangle. This can be useful in solving problems related to geometry, physics, and other scientific fields.

5. Can "(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3" be simplified further?

It is possible to simplify this expression further, depending on the specific values of the variables involved. However, the simplified form may not always be easy to interpret or use in calculations, so it may be more convenient to leave the expression in its expanded form.