1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    (1 + cot + tan )(sin - cos ) whole upon sin^3 - cosec^3 = sin^2cos^2

prove this . ( assume theta is front of all functions ) , i dont know where to start :/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: trignometry

I spent quite a long time working on that and then realized I had miscopied it!
    And I wonder if you haven't miscopied it! Because what you have written cannot be proven- it is not true. If you take [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex] radians or 45 degrees, then [itex]sin(\theta)= cos(\theta)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex] so that [itex]sin(\theta)- cos(\theta)= 0[/itex] and the numerator on the left is 0. We need to check that [itex]sin^3(\theta)- cosec^3(\theta)= 2^{3/2}/8- 8/2^{3/2}[/itex] is not 0. Since it is not the left side is 0. But the right side is [itex]sin^2(\theta)cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}= \frac{1}{4}[/itex], NOT 0.

Perhaps you miscopied? While I didn't finish, if the denominator were [itex]sin^3- cos^3[/itex] rather than [itex]sin^3- cosec^3[/itex], my counter-example would not work.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. Aug 1, 2012 #3

no , i rechecked the question , it is correct and can be solved according to the publisher ( i called customer care )

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What HallsofIvy is saying is that it can't be proven because it is not true. Whether some so-called customer care said so or not, it doesn't change the fact that mathematically they're not equivalent.

Just a couple of questions, is this what the problem says?

Prove that
    [tex]\frac{(1+\cot \theta+\tan \theta)(\sin\theta - \cos\theta)}{\sin^3\theta-\csc^3\theta}=\sin^2\theta\cos^2\theta[/tex]

If it is, then it can't be proven because there exist values of [itex]\theta[/itex] such that the left-hand side does not equal to the right-hand side.

However, if the problem asked to solve rather than to prove, then we have a different question entirely. When the problem asks to solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] what it's essentially asking is to find all the value(s) of [itex]\theta[/itex] such that the left-hand side does equal the right-hand side. For example, [itex]\theta=0[/itex] satisfies the equality.

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5

yes , that is correct , but if it cant be solved , im sorry, thank you for your time .

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

It can be solved, but not proven to be an identity :wink:

You can solve [itex]x^2-2x+1=0[/itex] but you cannot prove that [itex]x^2-2x+1=0[/itex] because that implies that for every value of x, [itex]x^2-2x+1=0[/itex] which is untrue.

You can prove that [itex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1[/itex] which means if you solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] you'll find that [itex]\theta[/itex] can be any value to satisfy the condition that [itex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1[/itex]

8. Aug 2, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Prove this" means "prove that this equation is correct for all x". That is not possible because it is not true as I said above. "Solve this equation" means find those particular values of x for which the equation is true. Is that what your problem asks you to do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook