Calculating Free Fall Motion on a Drop Ride: Solving for Velocity and Distance

In summary, passengers on the drop ride at a fair experience a 2.6 second free fall phase, reaching a speed of -25.506 m/s at the end. The average acceleration during the 1.2 second deceleration phase is +21.255 m/s^2. The total distance of the ride is 66 meters. When one girl's shoe falls off at the top, it reaches a speed of 48.4 m/s when it hits the ground. The shoe is on the ground for approximately 3.8 seconds.
baird.lindsay

Homework Statement

Passengers on the drop, a free fall ride at the fair, sits in cars that are raised to the top of the tower. the cars are released for 2.6 s of free fall.
a) how fast are the passengers moving at the end of the free fall phase? -25.506 m/s
b) if the cars in which they ride come to rest in 1.2 s what is the avg acceleration? +21.255 m/s^2
c) what is the total distance they ride? 66 meters
d) one girls shoes falls off at the top when the ride begins. how fast is it moving when it reaches the ground?
e) how long is the shoe on the ground when the girl arrives?

Homework Equations

vf=vi+at
s=vot+1/2at^2
vfs^2=vis^2+2as deltax

The Attempt at a Solution

Im stuck on d and e.
I thought vi=0 vf=? xi=33 xf=66 a=-9.8m/s^2
and i tried to use vf=vi+at but i get 25.48 and my notes say it should be 48.4 m...but I might have written my notes wrong...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Revise c) (Δx = 1/2 g Δt2 and include the displacement during deceleration) I found 48.4 m
About d), what is the height of the tower? Use the formula v = √(2gh)
About e), the fall lasts 2.6s+1.2s = 3.8s. Find shoe's displacement fot that time and subtract it from the height.

baird.lindsay said:
Im stuck on d and e.
I thought vi=0 vf=? xi=33 xf=66 a=-9.8m/s^2
What's the height of the shoe when it starts falling? When it hits the ground?

I also agree with cosmic dust: you must redo part c.

Revise c) (Δx = 1/2 g Δt2 and include the displacement during deceleration) I found 48.4 m

thank you...can u let me know how to find the displacement during deceleration? I'm not sure what this means...

baird.lindsay said:
thank you...can u let me know how to find the displacement during deceleration? I'm not sure what this means...
How far does the car travel while it is slowing down (the 1.2 second portion of the trip)? Hint: What's the average speed during that time?

Doc Al said:
What's the height of the shoe when it starts falling? When it hits the ground?

I also agree with cosmic dust: you must redo part c.

The height of the shoe when it stars falling is 33 meters. It hits the ground at 0 meters. Δx=-33

Doc Al said:
How far does the car travel while it is slowing down (the 1.2 second portion of the trip)? Hint: What's the average speed during that time?

average speed is 33/1.2 =27.5 m/s?? sorry I'm confused ...:(

baird.lindsay said:
The height of the shoe when it stars falling is 33 meters.
No. 33 m is the distance the car falls during its free fall. But it hasn't reached the ground yet.
It hits the ground at 0 meters.
Good.
average speed is 33/1.2 =27.5 m/s??
How fast is it going when it begins to slow down? (See the answer to part a.)

cosmic dust said:
About e), the fall lasts 2.6s+1.2s = 3.8s. Find shoe's displacement fot that time and subtract it from the height.

Sorry, I have misread the question. You should find the time needed for the shoe to touch the ground, solving the equation h = 1/2 g Δt2 for Δt. Thren subtract it from 3.8s...

Part D)

Last edited:
okay .5 X 21.255 (acceleration part b) X 1.2^2 =15.516 meters plus 33=48 meters?

baird.lindsay said:
okay .5 X 21.255 (acceleration part b) X 1.2^2 =15.516 meters plus 33=48 meters?
That's the idea (but be careful about rounding off too soon).

thank you all figured it out!

Related to Calculating Free Fall Motion on a Drop Ride: Solving for Velocity and Distance

What is 1D motion free fall problem?

The 1D motion free fall problem is a physics concept that describes the motion of an object as it falls under the influence of gravity in a single dimension, typically vertically. This means that the object is only moving in one direction and there are no other forces acting on it besides gravity.

What is the formula for calculating free fall motion?

The formula for calculating free fall motion is d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

How is free fall motion different from other types of motion?

Free fall motion is different from other types of motion because it is solely determined by gravity and does not take into account any other forces, such as air resistance or friction. Additionally, the acceleration due to gravity remains constant throughout the motion.

What is the significance of the acceleration due to gravity in free fall motion?

The acceleration due to gravity is a crucial factor in free fall motion because it determines the rate at which an object falls. This means that the acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects, regardless of their mass, in a vacuum. However, in real-life situations, factors such as air resistance can affect the acceleration.

How does the mass of an object affect its free fall motion?

The mass of an object does not affect its free fall motion in a vacuum. This is because, in a vacuum, all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity. However, in real-life situations, the mass of an object can affect its motion due to factors such as air resistance and friction.