Height of tower given objects dropped from top at same time?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two stones being thrown from the top of a tower. One stone is thrown vertically upwards with a velocity of 15m/s, while the other is dropped from the top of the tower 2 seconds later. The goal is to determine the height of the tower if both stones strike the ground simultaneously. Two different methods are used, resulting in different answers. The discrepancy may be due to the first stone reaching its maximum height before the second one is dropped. One mistake is identified in the calculation, where 19.6 is used instead of 16.9.
Ab17

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown vertically upward from the top of the tower with a velocity of 15m/s. Two seconds later a second stone is dropped from the top of the tower.if both the stone strike the ground simultaneously find the height of the towerV1i=15m/s
V2i=0m/s
t=2s
h=?

Homework Equations

Xf=Xi+0.5at^2
Vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I used two methods and got different answers which is confusing me

METHOD 1:
Xf1 = 15t-4.9t^2
Xf2 = -4.9(t-2)^2
Xf2 = -4.9t^2 +16.9t -16.9

Xf2=Xf1
15t -4.9t^2 = -4.9t^2 +16.9t -16.9
-1.9t = -16.9
t= 8.89s
h=253.90 m

METHOD 2:
Xf1= 15(2) -4.9(2)^2
Xf1 = 10.4m
Vf= Vi + at
Vf= 15 -9.8(2)
Vf = -4.6m/s
Xf1= 10.4 - 4.6t -4.9t^2
Xf2 = -4.9t^2

Xf1=Xf2
10.4 -4.6t -4.6t^2 = -4.9t^2
10.4=4.6t
t = 2.26s
h= 25.03m

Which solution is right?Why am I getting different answers? Is it because the 15m/s velocity is upwards and will reach maximum height? I am really confused

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't check it all but...

Ab17 said:
Xf2 = -4.9(t-2)^2
Xf2 = -4.9t^2 +16.9t -16.9

4.9 * 4 = 19.6 not 16.9

Likes Ab17
Thank you

Sometimes you get the hard things right but make mistakes on the easy things

1. What is free fall for two objects?

Free fall for two objects is a scenario where two objects are falling towards the ground under the influence of gravity, without any external forces acting on them. This means that both objects will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate.

2. Do two objects of different masses fall at the same rate in free fall?

Yes, in free fall, two objects of different masses will fall at the same rate. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects, regardless of their mass.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect their free fall?

The distance between two objects does not affect their free fall. As long as both objects are falling towards the ground under the influence of gravity, they will experience the same acceleration and fall at the same rate.

4. What factors can affect the free fall of two objects?

The only factor that can affect the free fall of two objects is the presence of external forces, such as air resistance or wind. In the absence of external forces, both objects will fall towards the ground at the same rate.

5. Can two objects in free fall collide with each other?

Yes, it is possible for two objects in free fall to collide with each other. This can happen if both objects are released from a height and their paths intersect before reaching the ground. However, the collision will not affect their rates of acceleration or their final velocity when they hit the ground.