1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Symmetric difference; 2. Commutativity of natural numbers

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two problems that I got stuck.
    1. [itex]\exists ! N\in P(X) , A\Lambda N=A, \forall A\in P(X)[/itex] and for each [itex]A\in P(X), \exists ! A'\in P(X) , A\Lambda A' =N [/itex]

2. Prove [itex]a+(b+c) = (a+b) +c[/itex], for positive integers [itex]a, b, c[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    1. Given sets [itex]A,B \in P(X)[/itex], where [itex]P(X)[/itex] denotes power set, their symmetric difference is defined by [itex] A\Lambda B= (A - B)\cup (B-A) = (A\cup B) - (A\cap B)[/itex]

2. For the second exercise, I am asked to use this definition:
    The sum [itex]m+n[/itex] of positive integers [itex]m, n[/itex] may be defined by induction on [itex]n[/itex] by
    [itex] (i) m+1=s(m) [/itex]
    [itex] (ii)\forall k\in Z^+, m+s(k)=s(m+k) [/itex]
    where [itex]s(m)[/itex] is successor function

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first part of first exercise, I think I proved that the only such set [itex]N[/itex] is the empty set. But then how should I proceed to proving the existence of unique set [itex]A'[/itex] ?

For the second exercise I do not know how exactly I should begin. Should I use induction for one of the numbers? For all of them? The thing is I am not yet used to putting everything in mathematical language which gets difficult proving simple fundamental properties, so I need your hints guys. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For (1) you don't prove "the existence of a unique set [itex]A'[/itex]". The problem is to prove the statement is NOT true for any set N.

For (2), use induction on c to prove that, for any fixed a and b, there exist c such that (a+ b)+ c= a+(b+ c). By the way, this is associativity, not commutativity. I assume that was a typo.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  4. Aug 6, 2012 #3
    Indeed it was a typo :) Anyhow, I managed to deal with the second.

Concerning the first, could you verify that N=∅ for the first part of the first exercise? In that case all I need is just a counterexample to show that there exists one [itex]A'[/itex] such that symmetric difference is not empty right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook