1. Symmetric difference; 2. Commutativity of natural numbers

In summary, the first problem is that the student is not sure how to proceed and the second problem is that they need help to prove the statement is not true.
threeder

Homework Statement

I have two problems that I got stuck.
1. [itex]\exists ! N\in P(X) , A\Lambda N=A, \forall A\in P(X)[/itex] and for each [itex]A\in P(X), \exists ! A'\in P(X) , A\Lambda A' =N [/itex]

2. Prove [itex]a+(b+c) = (a+b) +c[/itex], for positive integers [itex]a, b, c[/itex]

Homework Equations

1. Given sets [itex]A,B \in P(X)[/itex], where [itex]P(X)[/itex] denotes power set, their symmetric difference is defined by [itex] A\Lambda B= (A - B)\cup (B-A) = (A\cup B) - (A\cap B)[/itex]

2. For the second exercise, I am asked to use this definition:
The sum [itex]m+n[/itex] of positive integers [itex]m, n[/itex] may be defined by induction on [itex]n[/itex] by
[itex] (i) m+1=s(m) [/itex]
[itex] (ii)\forall k\in Z^+, m+s(k)=s(m+k) [/itex]
where [itex]s(m)[/itex] is successor function

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of first exercise, I think I proved that the only such set [itex]N[/itex] is the empty set. But then how should I proceed to proving the existence of unique set [itex]A'[/itex] ?

For the second exercise I do not know how exactly I should begin. Should I use induction for one of the numbers? For all of them? The thing is I am not yet used to putting everything in mathematical language which gets difficult proving simple fundamental properties, so I need your hints guys. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (1) you don't prove "the existence of a unique set [itex]A'[/itex]". The problem is to prove the statement is NOT true for any set N.

For (2), use induction on c to prove that, for any fixed a and b, there exist c such that (a+ b)+ c= a+(b+ c). By the way, this is associativity, not commutativity. I assume that was a typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed it was a typo :) Anyhow, I managed to deal with the second.

Concerning the first, could you verify that N=∅ for the first part of the first exercise? In that case all I need is just a counterexample to show that there exists one [itex]A'[/itex] such that symmetric difference is not empty right?

1. What is the definition of symmetric difference?

The symmetric difference between two sets is the set of elements that are in either one of the sets, but not in both.

2. How is symmetric difference represented mathematically?

The symmetric difference between set A and set B is represented as A △ B.

3. What does it mean for natural numbers to be commutative?

A binary operation on natural numbers is commutative if changing the order of the operands does not change the result. For addition, this means a + b = b + a and for multiplication, this means a * b = b * a.

4. Is addition commutative for natural numbers?

Yes, addition is commutative for natural numbers. This means that for any two natural numbers a and b, a + b = b + a.

5. Is multiplication commutative for natural numbers?

Yes, multiplication is commutative for natural numbers. This means that for any two natural numbers a and b, a * b = b * a.