Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News 12 killed in Navy Yard (DC) shooting

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/dc-navy-yard-gunshots/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I feel for you all.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I spent so much time at the DC Navy Yard during the years that my first husband was stationed in DC while in the Navy, I used to work for the Navy Exchange in DC.

My thoughts go out to everyone there.

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Wow...

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What really is sad is that there is very little surprise about this, at least among my family and co-workers. Since this happened, I've talked to numerous coworkers, my mother, my husband, my daughter. Not one has said a word about this incident.

7. Sep 17, 2013 #6

Borg

Gold Member

I really dislike the way that the media plasters the faces of these killers all over the front page. I understand that they're going to print their picture but, at least bury it deeper in the story. That kind of publicity just encourages the next one.

In 1989, I worked in the building next to a mass shooting in Kentucky. The two things that I most remember are being outside, seeing a police car rocket the wrong way through our parking lot on the way to the scene, and remarking that someone was really late for his donuts. :rolleyes: The other was when I went back inside my building and found out that there was a shooting going on. It was a confused situation but people were saying that he was on the roof shooting into the street. What was bizarre was that everyone was standing next to a two story glass wall facing the building and trying to get a good look. I shook my head at the stupidity that I was seeing, went back to my sixth floor office and waited for the all-clear.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. Sep 17, 2013 #7

turbo

Gold Member

How did the shooter get a gun in there? The facility has a perimeter with armed guards and there are additional security checks once you get inside the perimeter fence.

9. Sep 17, 2013 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I guess that once you have the security clearance, nobody bothers about you as a security risk..:frown:

10. Sep 17, 2013 #9

Borg

Gold Member

There are still a lot of rumors going on but from what I've read, this is what I think occurred. He did work there as a contractor and had a badge with a secret security clearance. There are no vehicle checks there so he was able to get a shotgun into the facility grounds in his vehicle. He then walked to the building, killed the security guard and picked up his service revolver and a rifle. He next used the rifle to rapid fire from a third floor balcony into a large mall-type cafeteria area. After that, I haven't heard but a responding police officer eventually shot him.

11. Sep 17, 2013 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks Borg. The news media here have not been terribly informative.

12. Sep 17, 2013 #11

Borg

Gold Member

From the Yahoo article, it says that the rifle was his as well. The fact that he had so many mental issues and still held a clearance is troubling.

13. Sep 17, 2013 #12

Evo

Last night on the news, they showed he had a police record of violence. Someone messed up.

14. Sep 17, 2013 #13

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No rifle was used, just a shotgun and two pistols. I'm waiting to hear the nonsense begin that those high capacity magazines are just tooo dangerous.
    Another crazy with a gun.

Amazing that he could do that much damage with just those from a 4th floor balcony? I guess Biden was right... it is better with a shotgun.

15. Sep 17, 2013 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Badly. So many failures on so many levels... If you are inside the perimeter fence of a Navy base and inside additional layers of security and ID checks, you should have a reasonable expectation of not being the target of a serial killer.

16. Sep 17, 2013 #15

Borg

Gold Member

:confused: Got a link for that? The Yahoo article says that it was a rifle, a shotgun and a handgun.

17. Sep 17, 2013 #16
    Wait...what?but how?
    This is the navy,right?so how did this happen?
    All my sincerest regards to those who have been hurt or killed and their families
    P.S.sorry if my English wasn't good and if I may said something that was misunderstood then I am very sorry

18. Sep 17, 2013 #17

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Every story that reported an AR-15 was used was totally made up. FBI reports today no AR-15 was used. Interesting how many made up stories reported that he had lawfully purchased the AR-15 in Virginia just before the shooting! Some real whoppers! And you linked to one of them.

Just who was the source of this information and why is EVERY news outlet so willing to report unsubstianted information? I think I know why...

19. Sep 17, 2013 #18

Borg

Gold Member

All I see is an opinion with no links. Got any proof for your whoppers?

20. Sep 17, 2013 #19

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

21. Sep 17, 2013 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Navy Yard shooting: AR-15, back in the news -- briefly

Although they don't spell it out specifically, CNN was also the news organization responsible for reporting the AR-15 was purchased in Virginia just before the shooting. In other words, while errors are highly likely when reporting breaking stories, it's probably unfair to call them made up. They at least try to report the best knowledge they have at the time.

At this point, it might be a bit pre-mature to say conclusively what types of weapons were used and how they were obtained. Just going by what the majority of news media are using for their source (i.e. - all other reports except the one linked to), an AR-15 was probably used, but I wouldn't place any personal bets on the origin of the weapon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook