14-15 Nove 2018 - 3 distant (from me) M6+ quakes

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses three recent earthquakes: a M 6.0 near Ust'-Kamchatsk Staryy, Russia, a M 6.3 near Visokoi Island, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, and another M 6.3 near the Southern East Pacific Rise. It is noted that there was no obvious S wave arrival for the South Sandwich Islands earthquake, possibly due to being in the S-wave shadow zone. Another earthquake in the Solomons region is mentioned, with a higher frequency content compared to the previous two. The conversation ends with a request for no more earthquakes in New Zealand.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
M 6.0 - 76km SSW of Ust'-Kamchatsk Staryy, Russia

M 6.3 - 111km E of Visokoi Island, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

M 6.3 - Southern East Pacific Rise
181114-15  UT M6.2 Kamchatka Penin, 6.3 Sandwich Isl, 6.3 EPR zhi annotated.GIF
Interesting to note that there is no obvious S wave arrival for the 6.3 from South Sandwich Isl. reg.
Quite probably that I am in the S-wave shadow zone.

https://www.iris.edu/hq/inclass/animation/seismic_shadow_zones_s_wave_shadow_zone
Dave

Attachments

• 181114-15  UT M6.2 Kamchatka Penin, 6.3 Sandwich Isl, 6.3 EPR zhi annotated.GIF
    181114-15 UT M6.2 Kamchatka Penin, 6.3 Sandwich Isl, 6.3 EPR zhi annotated.GIF
    100.3 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
and yet another one, a M6.2, Solomons region

M 6.2 - 132km E of Kirakira, Solomon Islands

the very bottom trace on the seismogram

181114-16  UT M6.0 Kamchatka, 6.3 Sandwich Isl, 6.3 EPR, 6.2 Solomons zhi.gif
"Mother Earth's" last ditch effort to catch up on the lagging averages for the year hahaha

Note the much higher frequency content of this latest event compared to the two immediately above it
only around 2850km from my location/seismic station.Dave

Attachments

• 181114-16  UT M6.0 Kamchatka, 6.3 Sandwich Isl, 6.3 EPR, 6.2 Solomons zhi.gif
    181114-16 UT M6.0 Kamchatka, 6.3 Sandwich Isl, 6.3 EPR, 6.2 Solomons zhi.gif
    106.2 KB · Views: 531
No more earthquakes for New Zealand, please!

Likes davenn

1. What caused the 14-15 November 2018 M6+ quakes?

The 14-15 November 2018 M6+ quakes were caused by tectonic plate movement along a fault line. This movement can release built-up energy and cause the Earth's surface to shake, resulting in an earthquake.

2. How far away were the M6+ quakes from you?

The M6+ quakes were 3 distant from me. This means they were not close enough to be felt or cause any significant damage in my location. The distance of 3 distant is typically considered to be at least 100 km away from the epicenter of the earthquake.

3. Was there any damage or casualties from the M6+ quakes?

There were reports of some damage and casualties from the M6+ quakes, but it was likely limited to areas closer to the epicenter. The extent of damage and casualties depends on the location, population density, and building infrastructure in the affected area.

4. How do scientists measure the magnitude of an earthquake?

Scientists use a tool called a seismometer to measure the magnitude of an earthquake. This device records the amount of energy released by an earthquake, which is then calculated using a logarithmic scale to determine the magnitude.

5. Is it possible to predict when and where an earthquake will occur?

No, it is not yet possible to predict exactly when or where an earthquake will occur. However, scientists can identify areas that are at a higher risk for earthquakes based on past patterns and geological features. It is important to have earthquake preparedness plans and follow safety precautions to minimize the impact of earthquakes.