Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D COMSOL Domain Implementation

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    Hello,

This is the first time I'm using COMSOL on a problem where I have multiple subdomains within the domain. Previously, I have only been using one domain/one set of equations/Two global sets of BC's.

I've been having a hard time thinking of a solution to my problem.

I have 3 subdomains, and all have their own set of ODE's and BC's. (They're really PDE's, but I'm going to assume stead-state for the time-being until I get it to work. I want to see the steady state solutions anyway as well.)

The problem comes in that in the first and third subdomains, I have 3 equations each to solve. In the middle subdomain, I have 7 equations to solve.

They are all heavily coupled, but the system is homogeneous and linear. So I have a total of 13 dependent variables.

Is there a way to either:

- Use overlapping subdomains so that I can have 3 subdomains in the middle rather than just one?
    - Have the first and third subdomains have a model for 3 equations each, and the middle one have a model for 7 equations?

Because I can't do all 13 at once, as that gives me singular matrices during the finite element assembly.

I am currently using a 1D PDE stationary model in the coefficient form with all the transient term coefficients set to 0 for the time being.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2
    I think I may have figured it out. I'll use it and see how the results go.

I'm trying to have 3 separate PDE models, and activating each one in one of the subdomains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook