1D Kinematics : Speed & Distance

In summary, Boat B completed the race in 2/3 the time it would have taken Boat A to complete the race if both boats had started at the same time.
toothpick09

Homework Statement

Two boats start together and race across a 42 km wide lake and back. Boat A goes across at 42 km/h and returns at 42 km/h. Boat B goes across at 21 km/h, and its crew, realizing how far behind it is getting, returns at 63 km/h. Turnaround times are negligible, and the boat that completes the round-trip first wins.

Which boat wins and by how much(km)?

Homework Equations

Conversions

Average Speed = Total distance/total time

The Attempt at a Solution

I took 42km/h * 1h/84km = 1/2h for boat A to travel there and 1/2 h to travel back.

21km/h * 1h/84km = 1/4h for boat B to travel there leaving it 3/4h to travel back.

Next I took the speed and multiplied by the hours:
42km/h * 1/4h = 10.5 km
21km/h * 1/4h = 5.25 km
63km/h * 3/4h = 47.25 km

Then added the distance of boat B and subtracted boat A:
(47.25km + 5.25km) - (10.5km + 10.5km) = 31.5km

What am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Given this: Average Speed = Total distance/total time

The time taken would be equal to Total distance/Avg. speed

Now, calculate the time it would take boat A to cross the lake once, and then do the same for it's return trip.

So ...

42km/42km/h = 1h which means 2h there and crossing the finish line for boat A

for boat B: 42km/21km/h = 2h and 42km/63km/h = 2/3h meaning 8/3 hour for boat B's trip to and fro.

but that is just the time it takes them to make the trip how do you find the distance?

toothpick09 said:
but that is just the time it takes them to make the trip how do you find the distance?
Where is boat B when boat A wins the race?

I'm sorry I am still confused

You know how much time it took for Boat A to win the race. So at the time that Boat A finishes, how far has Boat B gone in the race at that point?

42 km right because when boat A finishes the race in 2hours boat b has traveled 42 km.

42km/21km/hr = 2h

?

Sounds good to me.

1. What is 1D Kinematics?

1D Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is speed in 1D Kinematics?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves in a given direction, it is a measure of how fast an object is moving.

3. How is speed calculated in 1D Kinematics?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by an object by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in 1D Kinematics?

While speed is a scalar quantity, velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of motion. Velocity is the rate of change of position with respect to time.

5. How is distance related to speed in 1D Kinematics?

Distance is directly proportional to speed. This means that as the speed of an object increases, the distance traveled by the object also increases. Similarly, as the speed decreases, the distance traveled decreases.