1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1d potential V (-x)=-V (x) eigenfunctions.

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that for a 1d potential V (-x)=-V (x), the eigen functions of the Schrödinger equation are either symmetric/ anti-symmetric functions of x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know how to do it for odd potential.
    Let me show you how I am doing it for even potential.
    V (x)=V (-x)
    - (h2 / 2μ) [d2ψ(x)/dx2] + V (x) ψ(x)=E ψ (x).... (1)
    Making x to -x transformation we get
    - (h2 / 2μ) [d2ψ(-x)/dx2] + V (x) ψ(-x)=E ψ (-x)..(2)
    where i use V (-x)=V (x)
    Comparing (1) and (2) we see that ψ (x) and ψ(-x) eigenfunctions belongs to the same
    energy E.
    For a non degenerate state, ψ (-x ) must be a multiple of ψ (x):
    Ψ (-x) = λψ (x).
    Clearly ψ (x)= λψ (-x)=λ2ψ (x).
    λ2=1 or λ=+/- 1
    So ψ(-x)=+/- ψ(x)
    Now if i use odd potential in (2) eigenfunctions no longer belong to same energy E.
    The hamiltonian becomes weird for negative potential.
    Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Sudip,
    I like your solution to the opposite problem (even potential), but I don't see how you have proven that there is no degeneracy.
    My book (Merzbacher, quantum mechanics, about 50 years old :-) ) only says that if ##\psi(x)## is a solution, then ##{1\over 2} [\psi(x)+\psi(-x)]## and ##{1\over 2} [\psi(x)-\psi(-x)]## are also solutions.

If I imagine an odd-parity potential, e.g. a well from -a to 0 and a barrier from 0 to +a, I find it hard to believe the either/or statement can be proven. An even simpler V is a step from -V0 to + V0 at x = 0.

I think any reasonable odd-parity V has to go to 0 when away from x=0, so there eigenfunctions are close to plane waves.

Sorry I can't help you any better. Hope someone else can; if no: let us know if you find a sensible solution from teacher or by yourself.

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I agree that the problem is flawed.

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4
    How did I prove non degeneracy??
    Well , 1d bound states are non degenerate aren't they?
    I would like to quote somethings from a book by Dr.S.N.Ghosal(student of Emilio Segre) here :
    "The above classification of wavefunctions [λ=+/-1 so ψ(-x)=+/- ψ(x)] according to parity is possible only if Hamiltonian H^ remains invariant under parity operation i.e., if the interaction potential V (x) remain unchanged by parity operation, V (-x)=V(x)"
    Doesn't this statement raises question on the feasibility of the problem?
    I want to know in a simple yes or no is it possible to find symmetric as well antisymmetric functions for a potential well
    V(x)=-V0 for -a <x <0
    V (x)=0 elsewhere.
    Can't seem to find the above problem anywhere.A purely odd potential.

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, it's not possible. Your V(x) isn't odd either.

7. Oct 6, 2014 #6
    Sorry.
    Will you say :
    V (x)= -V (a) for -a <x <0
    V (x)=0 elsewhere
    is odd??

8. Oct 6, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. An odd function satisfies V(-x) = -V(x) for all x. For your potential, V(a/2) = 0 while V(-a/2) = -V(a) ≠ 0 (I assume).

BvU gave you an example of a simple odd potential: V(x) = V0 for x>0 and -V0 for x<0. Try solving the Schrodinger equation with this potential. You'll find the solutions aren't odd or even.

9. Oct 6, 2014 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have to correct myself: after all the step function is a counter-example. V can't go to ##\infty##, but it doesn't have to go to 0 to be (mathematically - and thereby also physically) acceptable.

I bring in another interesting potential function: a periodic square well . When x=0 is chosen such that V is even, eigenfunctions are even, but a shift of 1/4 period makes the potential odd, but not the eigenfunctions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted