1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac-Delta Potential (Scattering)

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say there exists a delta potential V(x) = α(x-L). Solve the eigenvalue problem to yield the energy eigenstates.
    Say a quanton is in an initial state given by Ψ(x)=Aeikox at t=0. What is Ψ(x,t)?

2. Relevant equations
    Schrodinger Eqn.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the first part to find the energy eigenvectors (not-normalized), after applying the boundary condition (including the discontinuity at x-L), to get:
    Ψk(x) = A(eikx + B/A(e-ikx) x<L
    Ψk(x)=A(C/A)(eikx) x>L
    B/A and C/A were obtained from the boundary conditions, and of course represent the reflection and transmission coefficients, respectively.
    Since ψ(x,t) = ∫Ψk(x)⋅φ(k)dk
    where φ(k) represents the coefficients of the wave function, obtained via Fourier Transform.
    i.e. φ(k) = ∫Ψk*(x)⋅Ψ(x)dx
    I'm having trouble, qualitatively, understanding how to compute the given integral given that the initial state has a well-defined momentum and is travelling from the left to the right; would the integral with B/A(-ikx) vanish since it represents a left moving quanton, which is orthogonal to the right moving quanton in the initial state?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2
  4. Oct 18, 2015 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral is an expansion in the X basis of ##\langle\psi_k|\psi\rangle##. Note that ##|\psi\rangle## is simply ##|p_0\rangle## in the P (momentum) basis, where ##p_0=\hbar k_0## (or maybe ##\frac{k_0}{\hbar}##. I'm in a rush and don't have time to check which it is). That suggests to me that the problem may be more tractable if we instead compute ##\langle\psi_k|\psi\rangle## by expanding in the P basis. I would take the case ##x>L## first, as it has only one component. What is the representation in the P basis of the ket that has representation ##x\mapsto \psi_k(x)=\alpha e^{ikx}## in the X basis?

5. Oct 20, 2015 #4
    I am getting Dirac-Delta Functions for φ(k). Does this sound right?

6. Oct 20, 2015 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

7. Oct 20, 2015 #6
    Qualitatively, though, the initial state is a non-localized particle with well-defined energy, travelling to the right. Would this mean that the second integral (with the reflection coefficient) would be zero since that represents a particle moving in the left direction (reflected part), which would be orthogonal to right-going particle at t=0?

8. Oct 20, 2015 #7

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It wouldn't mean that, because the two integrals are not entire wave functions on their own. They are two parts of the same energy eigenket, which is (in the X basis):

$$\left[1-\Theta(x-L)\right](\alpha e^{ik_1 x}+\beta e^{-ik_1x})+\Theta(x-L) \gamma e^{ik_2x}$$
    where ##\Theta## is the Heaviside function and ##k_2## is a function of ##k_1## and the potential step ##V##.

We can't break off a spatial fragment of the ket and reason about that fragment being orthogonal to the initial state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted