1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment

In summary, the OP is looking for suggestions for a 1st or 2nd year university level lab experiment related to quantum mechanics. There are a number of "standard" experiments at that level, including the Photoelectric effect, Spectrum of light from discharge tubes using a grating spectrometer, the Blackbody radiation, and electron diffraction.
leila
Hi all,

Was wondering if people had any ideas about what I could propose to be a 1st/2nd year (university) level lab experiment related to quantum mechanics. It would be nice to set something up that goes through the fundamental ideas of quantum mechanics.

Does anyone have any suggestions. It would have to be something that would take about 7 hours.

Thanks

Leila

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of "standard" experiments at that level:

1. Photoelectric effect

2. Spectrum of light from discharge tubes using grating spectrometer

3. Blackbody radiation.

Many universities even have their laboratory instructions on these experiments online.

Zz.

Also electron diffraction and the Franck-Hertz experiment.

There is this nice experiment where you shoot a laser beam through a silverplated beam splitter and then redirect the 2 beams with mirrors to another beam splitter. The laser light will come out only on one end of the second beam spillter according to the superposition principle.

Stern-Gerlach Experiment...

You get an inhomogeneous magnetic field and fire a beam of silver ions through it (I'm not sure if one could replace the silver ion beam with, say, a cathode ray) onto a phosphor plate. Classically the distribution of silver ions should be continuous over the plate, due to the ions, classically, being able to take on a continuous range of values for a magnetic moment (i.e. a force resulting from a torque). However, quantum mechanically, the magnetic moment consists of a sum of contributions proportional to the spin and orbital momenta, which are quantised. Thus the beam will be split into the 2s+1 different spin eigen-values. These will be [itex]\pm\frac{1}{2}\hbar[/itex] for a spin half particle, such as the silver ions used in the SG experiment.

Last edited:
Perturbation said:
Stern-Gerlach Experiment...

You get an inhomogeneous magnetic field and fire a beam of silver ions through it (I'm not sure if one could replace the silver ion beam with, say, a cathode ray) onto a phosphor plate. Classically the distribution of silver ions should be continuous over the plate, due to the ions, classically, being able to take on a continuous range of values for a magnetic moment (i.e. a force resulting from a torque). However, quantum mechanically, the magnetic moment consists of a sum of contributions proportional to the spin and orbital momenta, which are quantised. Thus the beam will be split into the 2s+1 different spin eigen-values. These will be [itex]\pm\frac{1}{2}\hbar[/itex] for a spin half particle, such as the silver ions used in the SG experiment.
I remember dowloading and printing a sort of manual on this experiment. It was part of the undergraduate stuff done at MIT I think. (I didn't go there --- just got it online.)

If I can find the printout, I'll post the link (if that info is on the printout). I remember it being a nice thorough description/treatment.

Personally, I would prefer one of the experiments using light. The OP can google on this and find at least a few detailed experiments (with component specs and schematics --- everything needed to do an experiment).

Sorry, but I don't have time to do the search(es) right now.

Last edited:
Is the actual Stern-Gerlach procedure tricky does anyone know? I was looking at doing it for a bit of coursework if it's not too hard to put together.

What about Double-Slit?

1. What is the purpose of a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment?

The purpose of a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment is to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics and allow them to gain hands-on experience with conducting experiments in a controlled laboratory setting.

2. What topics are typically covered in a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment?

Topics covered in a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment may include wave-particle duality, quantum superposition, entanglement, quantum measurement, and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

3. What equipment is commonly used in a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment?

Common equipment used in a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment may include lasers, diffraction gratings, polarizers, beam splitters, photodiodes, and various optical components.

4. How long does a typical 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment last?

The duration of a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment may vary depending on the specific experiment, but it is typically completed in one lab session lasting 2-3 hours.

5. What skills can students expect to gain from a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment?

Students can expect to gain skills in experimental design, data collection and analysis, critical thinking, and understanding of fundamental principles of quantum mechanics through a 1st/2nd year Quantum Lab Experiment.