1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st order, 2nd order Rate reactions HELP

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    1st order, 2nd order Rate reactions HELP!!

I have read the section of my book over and over and studied the practice problems, but I still do not understand 1st order, 2nd order, or 0 order rate reactions. What does it mean to be of any particular order?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2
    what are you talking about?

what lesson are you reading????

you information is incomplete, i'm sorry.... that's why i cannot understand the order that you're referring to....
  4. Jan 11, 2006 #3
    the order is just the relationship between the molarity of a reactant and the amount that it affects the rate of the reaction.
  5. Jan 11, 2006 #4
    oh!!! so that's what brandon meant... lol!!! i didn't get it first....
  6. Jan 12, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the rate of a reaction is given by :

[tex]rate= dP/dt = k*[A]^a \cdot ^b \cdot [C]^c \dots [/tex]

then the order of the reaction is said to be a+b+c+...

So, a first order reaction has a rate that is linearly proportional to the concentration of one of the reactants. A second order reaction can be one of the two following kinds :

[tex]rate = k*[A]^2 [/tex]
    [tex]rate = k*[A] [/tex]

A zero order reaction has a rate that is independent of the concentration of any of the reactants.
  7. Jan 20, 2006 #6
    Let's say you have the following data:

A + B ---> C

[A]-----------reaction rate

Look at the first and second lines; [A] increases by a factor of 2 as does the reaction rate ( is held constant). 2^x = 2? x = 1, so [A] is a first order reactant. Now look at lines 2 and 3; [A] is held constant, increases by a factor of 2, and the reaction rate increases by a factor of 4. 2^x = 4? x = 2, so is a second order reactant.

Now you right the differential rate law like this: rate = k[A]^2. The overall order of the reaction is 3.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?