1st Year Physics - Canadian Universities

In summary, if you want to get good marks in your professional program, take a course at a school that's harder than U of T.
physicscat
Hello all!

I was just wondering if the Canadian students here can give me some insight.
I already have my BSc. from U of T, but for application purposes to another professional program, I need to take 1 year undergrad physics with lab. (I didn't take it during my BSc. undergrad). I heard U of T has a VERY hard first year course and that's why I didn't end up taking it.

I was wondering if people from different toronto area universities (york, ryerson etc.) can give me insight into how hard the 1st year courses are and which would be easiest to make sure my GPA doesn't fall. (difficulty of material, quality of professors/TA, assistance if needed etc.)
Please take note that I was a Human Bio/Health Science major so I'm one of "those" : )

Basically which would be most helpful.

THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
First year physics courses are pretty uniform - especially in Canada. There are lots of students who will tell you that it's way harder at school A (usually those are the ones that didn't get a great mark at school A). And for first year courses, the professors change quite frequently, so there isn't much point in making a targeted decision.

If you're looking for an easy path to a good mark, the best advice I can give is to assume there isn't one and study hard.

At UT you can take non-calculus based physics, which isn't too bad. Depending on what you need it for, it might suffice. The calc based on is on par with most other schools in terms of difficulty, but the labs are a pain. You can also opt to take them in the summer, where the courses are usually easier. I believe both are offered in the summer.

Also, UTM has a very easy summer course for life sci physics.

1. What topics are covered in 1st year physics at Canadian universities?

The topics covered in 1st year physics at Canadian universities vary slightly depending on the specific university and program. However, common topics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics.

2. What are the prerequisites for 1st year physics at Canadian universities?

The prerequisites for 1st year physics at Canadian universities also vary depending on the specific university and program. However, most programs require a strong foundation in high school level mathematics, including algebra and trigonometry. Some programs may also require a background in calculus.

3. Are there any laboratory components in 1st year physics courses?

Yes, many 1st year physics courses at Canadian universities have laboratory components. These allow students to apply the theory they learn in lectures to real-life experiments and measurements. These laboratory components may be incorporated into the course itself or may be a separate course.

4. How can I succeed in 1st year physics at a Canadian university?

To succeed in 1st year physics, it is important to attend all lectures, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions. It is also beneficial to practice solving problems regularly and seek help from professors and teaching assistants when needed. Additionally, forming study groups with classmates can be helpful in understanding difficult concepts.

5. What career opportunities are available for students studying 1st year physics at Canadian universities?

Studying 1st year physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, education, and more. Some specific job titles that graduates may pursue include physicist, data analyst, aerospace engineer, and teacher. Additionally, the critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from studying physics can be valuable in any career path.