2.1.2 AP calculus Exan particle move along the x-axis

In summary, the particle has a velocity of $6t-t^2$ at time $t$, and the total distance traveled from $t=0$ to $t=3$ is 9 units. The formula for total distance is $\displaystyle \int_{t_1}^{t_2} |v(t)| \, dt$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
A particle moves along the x-axis. The velocity of the particle at time t is $6t - t^2$.
What is the total distance traveled by the particle from time $t = 0$ to $t = 3$
ok we are given $v(t)$ so we do not have to derive it from a(t) since the initial $t=0$ we just plug in the $t=3$ into $v(t)$ so
$6(3) - (3)^2=18-9=9$.
I thot I might of posted this earlier but I could not find it:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... $p(t)=3t^2-\frac{t^3}{3}+C$ (Wondering)

isn't that for a(t) ??

$p'(t)=v(t),\quad v'(t)=a(t)$

total distance = $\displaystyle \int_{t_1}^{t_2} |v(t)| \, dt$

1. What is AP Calculus?

AP Calculus is an advanced high school course that covers the principles of calculus, including derivatives, integrals, and their applications.

2. What is a particle?

In this context, a particle refers to a point object that is moving along the x-axis. This could represent any object in motion, such as a car, a ball, or a person.

3. What does "2.1.2" mean in the context of AP Calculus?

In AP Calculus, "2.1.2" refers to a specific topic or section within the course. In this case, it could represent a specific concept or problem related to particle motion along the x-axis.

4. How is particle motion along the x-axis related to calculus?

Calculus is used to analyze the motion of objects, including particles moving along the x-axis. By using derivatives and integrals, we can determine the velocity and acceleration of the particle at any given point in time.

5. How can I solve problems related to particle motion along the x-axis in AP Calculus?

To solve problems involving particle motion along the x-axis in AP Calculus, you will need to use the principles of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze the motion and solve for unknown variables. It is important to understand the basic concepts and formulas related to particle motion before attempting to solve these types of problems.