2^2^n - 1 has at least n distinct prime factors

  • Thread starter Thread starter stgermaine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Factors Prime
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
stgermaine
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
1. Homework Statement [/b]
Prove that the number [itex]2^{2^{n}} - 1[/itex] has at least n distinct prime factors.

Homework Equations


Seems like I'd have to use Fermat numbers and its properties to solve this question.

[itex]F(n) = 2^{2^{n}} + 1[/itex]
[itex]F(n) = (F(n-1) - 1)^{2} + 1[/itex]
[itex]F(n) = F(0)*F(1)*...*F(n-1) +2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I think that I should try to show the recurrence relationships to demonstrate how I arrived at the answer.

The third equation would be the most helpful, since I have to show that F(n) - 2 has n distinct prime factors. I know how to show that gcd(F(m), F(n)) = 1, m!=n.

I tried to derive the third equation from the second one.
[itex]F(n) - 2 = (F(n-1) - 1)^{2} - 1 = [F(n-1)^{2} - 2*F(n-1) + 1] - 1 = F(n-1)(F(n-1)-2)[/itex]

I'd then substitute F(n-2)(F(n-2)-2) for F(n-1)-2 and try to work my way to the third equation given in section 2.

Thank you for your help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can get your third equation directly by factoring your expression like ##(x^2-1)## repeatedly.
 
Last edited:
Joffan said:
You can get your third equation directly by factoring your expression like ##(x^2-1)## repeatedly.

In case you didn't understand this and are still puzzled,
$$(x^2-1) = (x-1)(x+1)$$
$$2^{2x}-1 = (2^x-1)(2^x+1)$$
$$2^{2^x}-1 = (2^{2^{x-1}}-1)(2^{2^{x-1}}+1)$$