2 basis sets, for which one is DFT calc faster?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed and accuracy of DFT calculations using two different basis sets, A and B. Generally, B is faster while A is more precise. However, the accuracy of a certain basis set depends on the specific system being studied. It is recommended to do individual tests or refer to journal articles for more information, particularly works by Don Truhlar from U Minnesota.
AJ007
Hello fellow physicist,
I'm new on this subject, I hope that you can help me clear some stuff out.

If I have 2 basis sets; A containing 100 basis functions and B containing 50 basis functions, for which one of them will a DFT calculation be faster?
Also, is a DFT calculation using basis sets A, more accurate than if it uses B?

Very thankful,
Best regards
AJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AJ007 said:
Hello fellow physicist,
I'm new on this subject, I hope that you can help me clear some stuff out.

If I have 2 basis sets; A containing 100 basis functions and B containing 50 basis functions, for which one of them will a DFT calculation be faster?
Also, is a DFT calculation using basis sets A, more accurate than if it uses B?

Very thankful,
Best regards
AJ
Generally speaking, B would be faster, A would be more precise (lower energies). This is because your completing more calculations for the extra basis functions, but the density in A would be more realistic.

Likes AJ007
As Ben said, "Generally speaking" B would be faster. However, it should be noted that accuracy of a certain basis set truly depends on the system (molecule) you are dealing with. A larger basis set may not necessarily give more accurate results. You need to do your own tests of basis sets or look up references from journal aritcles. I would suggest looking up works by Don Truhlar from U Minnesota - he must have something out there.

Likes AJ007

1. What are basis sets in the context of DFT calculations?

Basis sets are sets of mathematical functions that are used to describe the electron density in a molecule or solid. These functions are typically centered around the atoms in the system and are used to approximate the electron density in a particular region of space.

2. How do 2 basis sets affect the speed of DFT calculations?

The use of multiple basis sets in DFT calculations can affect the speed of the calculation in a few ways. First, using a larger basis set can lead to more accurate results, but this often comes at the cost of longer calculation times. Additionally, some basis sets may be better suited for certain types of systems, so choosing the appropriate basis set can also impact the speed of the calculation.

3. How can I determine which basis set is faster for DFT calculations?

The best way to determine which basis set is faster for DFT calculations is to run the same calculation with both sets and compare the results. In some cases, a larger basis set may actually be faster due to the use of more efficient algorithms or numerical techniques.

4. Are there any factors besides basis sets that can affect the speed of DFT calculations?

Yes, there are several factors that can impact the speed of DFT calculations. These include the size and complexity of the system being studied, the type of functional or exchange-correlation method used, and the computational resources available.

5. How can I optimize the speed of my DFT calculations?

There are a few ways to optimize the speed of DFT calculations. One approach is to carefully choose the appropriate basis set for your system, as this can significantly impact the calculation time. Additionally, using parallel computing techniques or accessing high-performance computing resources can also help speed up DFT calculations.